From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:23:45
1 Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com> skribis:
2 > When someone wants to take away my freedom, I get concerned.
3
4 It isn’t even necessary to be concerned about nefarious plans to be
5 concerned. The kind of ‘vertical integration’ systemd represents is
6 plainly bad software design, on its face; it is a violation of
7 modularity and reusability. It takes away so-called freedom simply by
8 being bad software that ignores decades of programming experience,
9 with results that are predictable -- including failure or breakage if
10 you try to remove or replace the poorly separated parts.
11
12 This is Programming 101, but usually it is impossible to argue with
13 someone on such grounds, because <the usual excuses>.
14
15 The main reason the term ‘Red Hat’ has put a chill down my spine for
16 20 years is not that I figured they were some evil plot to steal
17 ‘freedom’, but that they have never been good at simplicity,
18 modularity, or stability of interface.