From: Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:47:35
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Rich Freeman posted on Sun, 21 Sep 2014 22:34:23 -0400 as excerpted:
6 > As for the loss of the usb static device nodes, did you (Frank) file a
7 > bug about it breaking your userspace? That's one of Linus' most firm
8 > kernel rules -- you do *NOT* change the userspace/kernelspace API/ABI and
9 > break userspace. However, there's a known exception. Rather like the
10 > old philosophical question as to whether if a tree falls in the forest
11 > and nobody hears/sees it, did it actually fall at all, if nobody notices
12 > the userspace/kernelspace ABI breaking, did it really break at all?
13 >
14 > [snip]
18 > And Linus and the other kernel devs are constantly pointing out that if
19 > they break userspace, report it as soon as possible so it can be fixed.
20 > Those who fail to do so, unfortunately very occasionally have to live
21 > with the resulting breakage, at least to some extent, tho they still go
22 > to rather extreme lengths to finesse things if and when they can.
23 >
24 > So if your userspace breaks due to a kernel change, report it as soon as
25 > you detect it and ask that it be fixed. Linus is very likely to make
26 > sure it happens. If you didn't do that, well...
27 >
28 > --
29 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
30 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
31 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
35 There are, in fact, a number of things that systemd breaks, and that the
36 devs refuse to fix, that even Linus has complained about. To quote:
37
38 "Key, I'm f*cking tired of the fact that you don't fix problems in the code
39 *you* write, so that the kernel then has to work around the problems you
40 cause.
41
42 Greg - just for your information, I will *not* be merging any code from Kay
43 into the kernel until this constant pattern is fixed.
44
45 This has been going on for *years*, and doesn't seem to be getting any
46 better. This is relevant to you because I have seen you talk about the
47 kdbus patches, and this is a heads-up that you need to keep them separate
48 from other work. Let distributions merge it as they need to and maybe we
49 can merge it once it has been proven to be stable by whatever distro that
50 was willing to play games with the developers.
51
52 But I'm not willing to merge something where the maintainer is known to not
53 care about bugs and regressions and then forces people in other projects to
54 fix their project. Because I am *not* willing to take patches from people
55 who don't clean up after their problems, and don't admit that it's their
56 problem to fix.
57
58 Kay - one more time: you caused the problem, you need to fix it. None of
59 this "I can do whatever I want, others have to clean up after me" crap.
60
61 Linus
62 "
63
64 And it's not just Linus. Something so pervasive, so entrenched into the
65 base of the system, AND that is causing problems for kernel devs to the
66 point that they have to implement work-arounds really needs to be reigned
67 in and forced to be more responsive to the needs of the OS / Linux
68 community as a whole, rather than the all-too-often response of "We don't
69 care that we've broken things you used to do in the past - this won't be
70 fixed and it's YOUR problem." That is the pervasive attitude of Kay
71 Sievers, Red Hat, and others involved in systemd development.
72
73 Here's another take from Christopher Barry, in a mailing list post from
74 just last month:
75
76 systemd is a coup. It is a subversive interloper designed to destroy
77 Linux as we know it, foisted upon us by the snarky
78 we-know-better-than-you CamelCase crowd. They just don't get it down
79 deep where it matters. systemd is not pointing in a direction that we
80 should be going. It does not encourage freedom. It does not encourage
81 choice. It does not display transparency. It does not embrace
82 simplicity. It seizes control and forces you to cede it. It makes
83 applications and major system components depend on it, and they cannot
84 function without it. It's gaining speed by luring naive or lazy or just
85 plain clueless developers into the fold with the promise of making
86 their lives easier. Buying into this way of thinking ignores the
87 greater dangers that systemd represents.
88
89 https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/12/459
90
91 When someone wants to take away my freedom, I get concerned.