From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:00:53
1 On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:47:30 -0400
2 Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > Here's another take from Christopher Barry, in a mailing list post from
6 > just last month:
7 >
8 > systemd is a coup. It is a subversive interloper designed to destroy
9 > Linux as we know it, foisted upon us by the snarky
10 > we-know-better-than-you CamelCase crowd ...
13 Thanks for this. It's good to hear others rant against systemd.
14
15 However, as has already been indicated in this thread, complaining
16 and ranting are not enough. There have to be developers stepping
17 forward with alternatives. If Sievers, et. al. are the only ones
18 willing to push an agenda then they, and systemd, will rule.
19
20 I recall my earlier experiences with Linux and CD-RAM. The Linux
21 drivers to access CD-RAM, controlled by certain folks as SuSe,
22 were poorly written and functioned terribly. But since no one
23 else came forward with alternatives (everyone just bitched on
24 the forums) the sub-optimal code was kept and, for all I know,
25 is still present.
26
27 Of course, it's not that easy for someone to just jump into
28 systems programming without an extensive background. Still,
29 one can keep hoping for more forks and more differing distributions
30 but it seems that Linux is destined to become highly monolithic
31 in the future.