From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: eselect-compiler multilib updates
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:38:19
1 Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o> posted
2 E404CD4D-C436-43C8-AC25-F9EE90355851@g.o, excerpted below, on Thu,
3 01 Jun 2006 01:48:16 -0700:
4
5 > The old profiles are there because the files are in /etc which means
6 > they're not removed when the version of gcc is unmerged.
7
8 Duh. I was tired when I wrote about that and it shows, as the fact that
9 CONFIG_PROTECT was involved never occurred to me! Lucky that
10 factoid wasn't a cobra or I'd be in a morgue by now! Oh, well, still
11 needed addressed, so it's for the best anyway. =8^)
12
13 > This is fixed if you emerge the newest eselect-compiler, but you'll still
14 > need to remove the old profile files manually. I should add something
15 > to the ebuild to remove invalid profiles after the first install since
16 > the CONFIG_PROJECT_MASK won't be valid until AFTER eselect-compiler is
17 > installed. Thanks for pointing this out.
18
19 Just merged -rc1-r4. I removed the 4.1.0 entry manually, and will do a
20 bit more testing later today or early AM (right now another cobra might
21 bite me! =8^).
22
23 >> Of course, [the problem is] toolchain.eclass[,] unless you tweaked
24 >> further after my emerges on May 26.
25 >>
26 > That depends on when on the 26th. I committed my changes on the 26th,
27 > so I'm not sure what you have.[] I actually tested this by
28 > using the 4.1.1_pre* gcc, then emerging 4.1.1. I saw both the i686 and
29 > x86_64 compiler get updated. Perhaps you missed the fix by a few hours.
30 > The toolchain.eclass commit was made a few hours after eselect-compiler
31 > was updated.
32
33 I probably missed it then. I'll be testing it later...
34
35 >> but it's something that should be fixed
36 >> before unmasking, I'm sure you'll agree.
37 >>
38 > Yes, I definitely agree here. The problem is with portage not unmerging
39 > the files with gcc and QA wanting the base profile not to include the
40 > override for eselect-compiler. This forced me to set
41 > CONFIG_PROJECT_MASK via env.d for users who have eselect-compiler, but
42 > that strands profiles for users who unmerge gcc before they get
43 > eselect-compiler... thus I'm going to need to cleanup /etc/eselect/
44 > compiler on the first merge.
45
46 Um... which came first, the chicken or the egg? <g> I guess that's about
47 what you are stuck with. Certainly a challenge!
48
49 >> Very cool idea, BTW
50 >>
51 > Great. Glad to see it working well for you. I've been using it as
52 > well, and I'm just glad I got it to a usable state before work tore me
53 > away from the project for so long. Hopefully I can get this finished
54 > soon and start working on something similar for binutils.
55
56 I'll be watching to see how it turns out. Actually having to manually
57 write that first config based on your pattern, then see how it changed
58 with each upgrade... Let's just say that being there at that stage of the
59 process lends itself to learning opportunities one would almost certainly
60 otherwise miss, if one jumped in after it's all automated. Sure, it's a
61 bit of a hassle from time to time handling the stuff manually, but the
62 drilling does reinforce the lesson. I'll be looking forward to the same
63 sort of learning opportunities with binutils. I love that sort of
64 hands-on learning, including the risk and challenge it entails, while at
65 the same time exploring the leading edge before most people have any idea...
70 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
73 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list