From: Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: eselect-compiler multilib updates
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:52:06
1 > $ls -1 /etc/eselect/compiler/
2 > selection.conf
3 > x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6.conf
4 > x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.0.3.conf
5 > x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.0.conf
6 > x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1.conf
7 >
8 > I have USE=-multislot for gcc, so 4.1.1 replaced 4.1.0.
9 > As you can see from the above output, eselect-compiler updated the
10 > x86_64
11 > entry to point to the new gcc, but failed to update the i686 entry,
12 > which
13 > still points at the now invalid 4.1.0. Further, the stale and
14 > invalid 4.1.0 entries were not removed and remain available for
15 > attempted
16 > selection. Looks like I still have to update the i686 entry
17 > manually, and
18 > remove stale /etc/eselect/compiler/* entries manually as well.
21 The old profiles are there because the files are in /etc which means
22 they're not removed when the version of gcc is unmerged. This is
23 fixed if you emerge the newest eselect-compiler, but you'll still
24 need to remove the old profile files manually. I should add
25 something to the ebuild to remove invalid profiles after the first
26 install since the CONFIG_PROJECT_MASK won't be valid until AFTER
27 eselect-compiler is installed. Thanks for pointing this out.
30 > Of course, that isn't a problem with eselect-compiler itself, but
31 > rather,
32 > it would seem, with the various eselect-compiler functions in
33 > toolchain.eclass. I just took a brief look and toolchain.eclass
34 > does have
35 > eselect-compiler functions and logic, presumably your work, but it
36 > appears
37 > a bit more work may be necessary before unmasking, unless you tweaked
38 > further after my emerges on May 26.
41 That depends on when on the 26th. I committed my changes on the
42 26th, so I'm not sure what you have. My fixes actually specifically
43 target updating _both_ the i686 and x86_64 compiler. I actually
44 tested this by using the 4.1.1_pre* gcc, then emerging 4.1.1. I saw
45 both the i686 and x86_64 compiler get updated. Perhaps you missed
46 the fix by a few hours. The toolchain.eclass commit was made a few
47 hours after eselect-compiler was updated.
50 > If you need more testing and want a bit faster responses, mail me
51 > directly
52 > if you wish. Be sure it's plain text so it doesn't get caught in
53 > my spam
54 > filter, but yeah, I'm up for trying eclass patches or the like, and
55 > recompiling gcc a few times to try things out, if necessary. Handling
56 > removal of stale config files manually isn't a big problem here,
57 > and I've
58 > been managing it for some time, but it's something that should be
59 > fixed
60 > before unmasking, I'm sure you'll agree.
63 Yes, I definitely agree here. The problem is with portage not
64 unmerging the files with gcc and QA wanting the base profile not to
65 include the override for eselect-compiler. This forced me to set
66 CONFIG_PROJECT_MASK via env.d for users who have eselect-compiler,
67 but that strands profiles for users who unmerge gcc before they get
68 eselect-compiler... thus I'm going to need to cleanup /etc/eselect/
69 compiler on the first merge.
73 > Very cool idea, BTW, handling both archs, and obviously a step up from
74 > current gcc-config, or I wouldn't have bothered with the manual
75 > updates
76 > this past year. The core, the part that's working, works very
77 > well, and
78 > I've been quite happily using it, occasional manual updates and the
79 > former
80 > manual initial setup, or not. =8^)
83 Great. Glad to see it working well for you. I've been using it as
84 well, and I'm just glad I got it to a usable state before work tore
85 me away from the project for so long. Hopefully I can get this
86 finished soon and start working on something similar for binutils.
87
88 --Jeremy
91 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list