From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] amd64 install in chroot?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:10:41
1 On Wednesday 24 May 2006 14:56, Tóth Csaba wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I would like to ask a little help.
5 > I have a server, some day ago i changed the motherboard on it. The old
6 > was a 32 bit system, but the new is a 64 bit system (amd64).
7 > Last time when i change from a RedHat to gentoo i make my gentoo
8 > install in a simple chroot into a fresh partition on the disk, and to
9 > boot the new system i just should make a line in the grub.conf to it.
10 > But now can i do this? Or i must get a new harddisk, an another
11 > motherboard, install there a 64 bit system, than shutdown the old one,
12 > and boot the new from the other disk? Or i can make a hot install?
13
14 Ok. If you can boot from CD that is way easier. However, it should be
15 possible to do a chroot. However, to do that you must use a 64 bit
16 kernel. A 64bit kernel is however fully capable to run a 32 bit system.
17 Then you can do a normal chroot setup with a 64 bit userland. It should
18 be possible to build a 64bit kernel by crosscompiling, or by taking it
19 from the livecd.
20
21 Paul
24 Paul de Vrieze