From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wayland and X-Window
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 17:35:41
1 On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 11:24:26 -0500
2 Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > It’s not just that, but the Gnome approach is like the Microsoft/Apple
6 > approach, of reducing choice while at the same time forcing one into
7 > pet project, non-standard software.
10 Those are my sentiments completely.
11
12 Gnome, however, is a desktop environment, and, as far as I'm concerned,
13 all desktop environments are excessively bulky and totally unnecessary.
14 There is nothing that can be done with a DE that can't be done without
15 a DE. I never use a DE. A simple windows manager is good enough -- and
16 Linux/GNU is the only OS that allow me that choice.
17
18 However, what does concern me is that the "Gnome approach" will also
19 be the approach taken by Wayland/Weston, and indeed by anything that
20 is associated with the freedesktop project.
21
22 Many will say: "If you don't like it, then fork it." The problem is that
23 a graphical subsystem like X or Wayland is not the simplest of matters to fork.
24 A graphical subsystem requires a lot of resources and expertise to develop and
25 those few that possess those resources also will have the power to control the
26 destiny of Linux/GNU. It is not a satisfying thought.
27
28 Frank Peters