From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wayland and X-Window
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 00:15:34
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
2 > However, what does concern me is that the "Gnome approach" will also
3 > be the approach taken by Wayland/Weston, and indeed by anything that
4 > is associated with the freedesktop project.
5
6 There is a slow tendency to spread out and try to make everything one
7 big Gnome, from the kernel up, whether we like it or not.
8
9 I have a special problem with freedesktop in general because years and
10 years ago I figured out that fontconfig’s pattern matcher is a huge
11 mistake, in its very design, and needed to be purged ASAP; I pointed
12 out the problem, even wrote a less dysfunctional variant that I use to
13 this day, but was faulted for pointing out the problem but not also
14 volunteering to take responsibility to fix it. And I was told how
15 could it be so bad if everyone uses it? I realize today what happened:
16 we are being driven in the free software world largely by peer
17 pressure, same as in the Microsoft/Apple world. The computer
18 programming culture is badly infected with a be-like-your-peers virus
19 (which may also help explain the harassment of women that is becoming
20 a big problem in ‘tech’).
21
22 I’m worried about Wayland and such because of all this. I want
23 quality, and projects that could let fontconfig remain horribly broken
24 (unable to find or correctly distinguish different fonts) for years
25 and years are very unlikely to provide it. For that reason, for now at
26 least, I’d rather resist than try to go with the flow. It is almost
27 the kind of ‘dignity’ problem that FSF writing attributes to the use
28 of proprietary software; ironic, given that Gnome is still nominally
29 (if not in spirit) a GNU project.
30
31 Linus, of course, doesn’t get too caught up in that; he’ll tell you it
32 sucks, and who is going to win that battle? Linus wins by default. :)
33 (I do wish we had a _working_ GNU/Hurd as alternative, but that never
34 will happen.)