From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Messed up my installation
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 15:39:46
1 Kevin Philp <kevin@×××××××××××××.net> skribis:
2 > I re-emerged X but no joy - eventually I manually emerged the xf86 keyboard
3 > and mouse drivers and I managed to get into Gnome using the nv driver.
4 > Nvidia complains about the kernel being tainted and removing riva drivers
5 > from the Kernel - which were not compiled in anyway so I am not sure what is
6 > wrong there.
7 ...
8 > 2. What is wrong with Nvidia - I followed the NVidia guide and reinstalled
9 > nvidia after recompiling the kernel.
10
11 The 'taint' message is normal; it means the Nvidia kernel module
12 source is closed, so the Linux folk won't help you if your kernel
13 gives you problems.
14
15 I personally use the nv driver that comes with X.org, mainly because
16 X.org upgrades don't break it and I don't do much 3-D, but have found
17 that it is best not to have any of the Nvidia stuff installed at the
18 same time or X.org gets confused.
22 Barry.SCHWARTZ ĉe chemoelectric punkto org http://chemoelectric.org
23 Free stuff / Senpagaj varoj: http://crudfactory.com
24 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
25 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)