From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.8 USB Disconnect
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 20:28:08
1 Hello,
2
3 After compiling kernel-3.8 (plain vanilla) I begin to see lots of these
4 entries in the kernel log:
5
6 usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, device number 4
7 usb 1-1.3: new low-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
8 input: Microsoft Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3:1.0/input/input2
9
10 These entries are repeated, with the device number increasing (+1)
11 each time.
12
13 The odd thing is that these USB disconnects occur only in console mode.
14 My system boots up to the console and the messages appear roughly every
15 60 seconds. But when I start X, the messages suddenly stop. There may
16 be only one or two USB disconnects over the next 12-16 hours. The only
17 difference between console mode and X is that the mouse is only active
18 under X.
19
20 The system remains stable, but for some reason, the USB mouse will repeatedly
21 disconnect in console mode, but also rarely in X.
22
23 I have searched for references to the problem but could only find a
24 possible similar issue with 3.8-rc1
25
26 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/23/100
27
28 Has anyone else seen this "USB disconnect" problem with kernel-3.8.x?
29
30 It could be that my motherboard is failing (it's approx. 2 years old) but
31 then why would the USB disconnects suddenly halt under X.
32
33 USB is built in to the kernel; there are no USB modules loaded.
34
35 Any comments on how I could investigate this further would be appreciated.
36
37 Frank Peters