From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.8 USB Disconnect
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 20:35:22
1 On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > After compiling kernel-3.8 (plain vanilla) I begin to see lots of these
5 > entries in the kernel log:
6 >
7 > usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, device number 4
8 > usb 1-1.3: new low-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
9 > input: Microsoft Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3:1.0/input/input2
10 >
11 > These entries are repeated, with the device number increasing (+1)
12 > each time.
13 >
14 > The odd thing is that these USB disconnects occur only in console mode.
15 > My system boots up to the console and the messages appear roughly every
16 > 60 seconds. But when I start X, the messages suddenly stop. There may
17 > be only one or two USB disconnects over the next 12-16 hours. The only
18 > difference between console mode and X is that the mouse is only active
19 > under X.
20 >
21 > The system remains stable, but for some reason, the USB mouse will repeatedly
22 > disconnect in console mode, but also rarely in X.
23 >
24 > I have searched for references to the problem but could only find a
25 > possible similar issue with 3.8-rc1
26 >
27 > https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/23/100
28 >
29 > Has anyone else seen this "USB disconnect" problem with kernel-3.8.x?
30 >
31 > It could be that my motherboard is failing (it's approx. 2 years old) but
32 > then why would the USB disconnects suddenly halt under X.
33 >
34 > USB is built in to the kernel; there are no USB modules loaded.
35 >
36 > Any comments on how I could investigate this further would be appreciated.
37
38 I do not know the cause of your problem, but if it's a machine you can
39 afford to reboot a few times, I would try doing a git bisect between
40 that kernel and the previous working one, and e-mailing your results
41 to the person whose name is on the offending commit.