From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Laptop freeze
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 15:25:22
1 "Tonko Mulder" <tonko.mulder@×××××.com> posted
2 43ba12950807062352t893e37bte2310abfa8fd900d@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 07 Jul 2008 08:52:15 +0200:
4
5 > I am on ~amd64 as far as I know, although amd64 appears in my emerge
6 > --info for some reason.
7
8 Yes, it makes perfect sense if you think about it a bit.
9
10 ~arch must include stable also. The keyword simply sets the minimum
11 stability the sysadmin wants to allow. ~arch simply tells the PM
12 (package manager) it's OK to install somewhat "less stable" packages than
13 it would if it only took arch.
14
15 Consider the scenario of a mature package that doesn't have many
16 updates. It will often have its latest version keyworded stable, with no
17 further ~arch version. If ~arch meant only ~arch, the PM couldn't
18 install that package, so the keyword must be interpreted as the minimum
19 stability desired -- it's always OK to install packages more stable than
20 that.
21
22 The way that's expressed in emerge --info is that both ~arch and arch are
23 listed.
24
25 As I said, it makes perfect sense once you think about it a bit. Gentoo
26 isn't supposed to be a black box. There's logic behind the way it works,
27 and understanding that logic makes things /much/ less confusing! =8^)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
35 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list