From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: More ATi driver madness
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:17:14
1 On Sunday 13 August 2006 11:49, Duncan wrote:
2 > "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
3 > 200608130038.56469.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
4 >
5 > on Sun, 13 Aug 2006 00:38:56 +0200:
6 > > On Sunday 13 August 2006 00:34, Antoine Martin wrote:
7 > >> I can't wait for ATI to open-source their crappy slaveryware drivers.
8 > >
9 > > you can wait for a long, long time. heise.de reported today, that ATI
10 > > will NOT opensource any drivers. They asked them and got a big fat NO as
11 > > an answer.
12 >
13 > Of course, it's all speculation at this point, but while they got no for
14 > an answer, some of the discussion I've seen has pointed out that's exactly
15 > what you'd expect folks from the ATI camp to say at this time -- before
16 > the deal is closed and in fact before the shareholders have even voted on
17 > it. Not saying it will happen, not saying it won't, but simply that in
18 > such a situation, spokespeople tend to keep saying the same thing until
19 > they are told to say something different, because that's exactly what they
20 > are getting paid to do. At this point, it's not unreasonable that the
21 > spokespeople simply don't know, in part because it's their job /not/ to
22 > know some things at this point.
23 >
24 > So I still have hope...
25 >
26 > Meanwhile, if AMD's intent is to be able to sell the whole solution, cpu
27 > and mobo chipset in some cases with integrated video, in ordered to better
28 > compete with Intel, they'll pretty much /have/ to open-spec it at least to
29 > a point, because Intel has. To /not/ do so will leave them in a
30 > competitive hole, with at least one segment of their market, and an often
31 > early adopter one at that (Linux rolled out AMD64 support well before MS
32 > did, and for some time, Linux was the primary market for it, something AMD
33 > is well aware of, I'm sure).
36 AMD has no experience with the tangled mess, graphics IP is. So they might
37 have some dreams, ATI knows that are not possible. The last time ATI openend
38 up, they did not really opened the drivers, they paid a 3rd party, a
39 corporation, to write open drivers, so ATI did not have to release the specs.
42 > Fortunately for me, I'm not planning on a hardware platform upgrade for at
43 > least a couple more years (I'm dual Opteron 242 w/ 8 gig memory currently,
44 > in a $400 Tyan dual-dual-core capable board I bought a couple years ago,
45 > and will be upgrading to dual-core Opteron 270 or 272s later this year
46 > after the upgrades drop the prices on socket 940s), and my Radeon 9200 AGP
47 > driving dual 21" monitors with xorg's native drivers seems to work
48 > relatively well, all things considered.
49
50 And the last ATI's don't even have 2d drivers, while David Airlie still waits
51 for the 'ok' from ATI to release the ones he has written.
54 > By the time I'm looking for a platform upgrade in 2-4 years (I figure back
55 > to a single CPU again by then, but quad-core, maybe even octi-core),
56 > AMD/ATI should have open sourced if they are going to. If they haven't, I
57 > could well be buying Intel for the first time since my 486SX-25 w/ an
58 > incredible 4 MB of RAM!
59
60 in 2-4 years, nouveau should have good working open drivers. Remember, they
61 have the old open source 3d enabled driver source from nvidia from the
62 Xfree86 3.X days. Before Nvidia was forced by unknon forces (some say MS and
63 Intel) to close the drivers.
64
65 > However, given all I've read about AMD's goals
66 > and reasons for doing this merger, I still consider this the best chance
67 > we've yet seen for AMD/ATI to release at least enough specs to allow
68 > reasonable 3D, even if it they do reserve some of the best stuff as
69 > closed, so I really do expect I'll still have a choice, and it won't be
70 > Baked Intel or Fried Intel or Intel on bread or ... (xref Monty Python,
71 > SPAM).
72
73 ATI does not even release 2d drivers at the moment ....
74 >
75 > Of course, by then, we should have a bit better data on whether the OGP
76 > (Open Graphics Project, google or wikipedia it if necessary) FPGA board
77 > got enough buyers to allow them to launch the regular chip version, and
78 > have at least some fix on how far off that might be if it did. Depending
79 > on how the timing all works out, it's just possible I'll be buying the
80 > mobo/cpu platform with an OGP card in mind. OTOH, if AMD opens their
81 > video specs/drivers as Intel has, it's just possible it could roll NVidia
82 > as well, and the OGP may end up not having a market, as everything else is
83 > open speced at least to /some/ degree anyway.
84
85 2d is open - from nvidia... and you don't need more, if you just have some
86 servers running or only need basic desktop. ATI does not even has that. And
87 Intel.. I just don't trust them. It would be typical for them to open their
88 drivers and forbid the others to do the same, just to get some advantage in
89 the market place. About the ogp - as long as there is no hardware, I don't
90 even consider them. Even in very future plannings.
91 --
92 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list