From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: More ATi driver madness
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:45:14
1 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
2 200608131915.18375.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
3 on Sun, 13 Aug 2006 19:15:18 +0200:
4
5 > 2d is open - from nvidia... and you don't need more, if you just have some
6 > servers running or only need basic desktop. ATI does not even has that.
7 > And Intel.. I just don't trust them. It would be typical for them to open
8 > their drivers and forbid the others to do the same, just to get some
9 > advantage in the market place. About the ogp - as long as there is no
10 > hardware, I don't even consider them. Even in very future plannings.
11
12 The thing is... the 2D hardware is deprecated and on the way out. It's
13 just a corner of most video chips now, and with all major platforms (incl.
14 Linux/X) going 3D on the desktop, 2D is on the way out. With the
15 generation of hardware matching Panorama-of-MSWormOS, 3D is fully
16 integrated, to the point where even 2D is drawn using the 3D algorithms.
17 It won't be long until there's no 2D hardware to have drivers FOR!
18
19 As for AMD, here's what I skipped over in the previous post. They've
20 already teamed up with various third parties to develop and sell physics
21 and floating point processors slotted into additional CPU sockets, linked
22 directly to the multi-core CPUs via Cohesive HyperTransport. The next
23 step is doing the same thing with full video processors, a decent portion
24 of which are physics processors anyway. There are however a couple issues
25 with the idea, including the fact that getting video folks to commit to an
26 AMD specific platform when they already have PCI-E would have been rather
27 difficult. This is supposedly one of the big reasons they bought ATI --
28 to give AMD the where-with-all to follow up on that idea. Now, in ordered
29 to fully populate the ecosystem, they'll /have/ to open things up. Keep
30 in mind that Intel is designing similar stuff with it's integrated
31 solutions, and if AMD didn't get in the game, it wouldn't be long until
32 they were no more relevant than Via in the x86 CPU market. AMD can do it,
33 and can continue to define the rules and the market place much as they did
34 with amd64 aka x86_64 and HyperTransport, but in ordered to do it, they
35 have to define open standards much as they did with x86_64. Should they
36 fail, Intel won't be far behind and will end up ahead, and AMD could very
37 soon be an also-ran.
38
39 The flip side, as you mentioned, is the possibility of stomping on the
40 patents of someone else and getting nicked for it. However, AMD has
41 enough trade secrets and patents of its own that taking them down will be
42 far more complex than trying to take down ATI alone. Even someone like
43 Rambus can't afford to play the game exclusively, because any practical
44 application, thus everyone they would be attempting to license to, is
45 going to be using an AMD technique as well, so they can't directly attack
46 AMD without nuking the market for their own product in the process. AMD,
47 like Intel and IBM, is big enough one has to cross-license, because
48 anything else ends up being MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction, a reference
49 to the cold war, but you likely know that already).
50
51 So... I think AMD/ATI /could/ open their video specs. However, it's still
52 an open question of whether they /will/, tho I think the chances are
53 pretty good, as Intel will have them between a rock and a hard place if
54 they don't.
55
56 (My sources for much of this were articles at ArsTechnica and the
57 Register, in turn quoting trade mags and industry analysts, plus AMD's own
58 PR.)
63 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
66 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list