From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Virtualization/WinXP
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:02:43
1 On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > 2010/1/27 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
4 >>
5 >> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:25 AM, The Doctor <drwho@××××××××.net> wrote:
7 >> > Hash: SHA1
8 >> >
9 >> > Mark Knecht wrote:
10 >> >
11 >> >> The last time I looked at this (maybe a year ago?) I decided that the
12 >> >> vmware-workstation would let a home user run something like two
13 >> >> instances without charges. Not free in that I'm limited to something
14 >> >> specific but no cost. (Is that free beer? It certainly doesn't sound
15 >> >> like Free Speech...)
16 >> >
17 >> > There is also a 60-day time limit on the un-paid-for version of VMware
18 >> > Workstation, as I recall.
19 >> >
20 >> > - --
21 >> >
22 >> > The Doctor [412/724/301/703]
23 >>
24 >> I got VirtualBox up and running with XP but nothing much more
25 >> yesterday as I ran into XP licensing issues again with M$ and sort of
26 >> backed off.
27 >>
28 >> I haven't figured out what's up with vmware-player networking yet. I
29 >> can get to the web in a browser just fine, do updates through M$
30 >> Update, do GMail. It looks perfect. However WinSCP running in
31 >> vmware-player isn't yet finding other machines on my network. IIRC
32 >> there were different models of networking you could set up. I have to
34 >> determine if the new machine is really fast enough to run TradeStation
35 >> and, very importantly, if the networking is stable enough and
36 >> transparent enough to allow me to connect to their network for real
37 >> futures trading. That will force me to dig in if it isn't OK right
38 >> now.
39 >
40 > are you sure that it isn't your routing tables that aren't ok? try
41 > tracerouting the ip you're trying to access and see if you can reach it.
42 > if you cannot you'd have to add the correct routing entries in windows
43 > routing tables.
44 > --
45 > dott. ing. beso
46 >
47 Actually I was pretty sure it _was_ routing. I just hadn't had time to
48 look into it at that point. At this point I have. It seems the copied
49 image decided to go with DHCP (or I had it that way and forgot) so I
50 was pointing at the wrong IP address. It all works fine now.
51
52 Ah, the power of Gentoo on multiprocessor systems. There is a standard
53 benchmark everyone runs on TradeStation just to gauge the relative
54 speeds of their systems. The fastest reported so far has been about 3
55 1/2 minutes running on a very expensive i7-9_something. (IIRC he paid
56 maybe $1K for the processor and MB, then $300 for a new copy of Win7
57 Professional.) This new machine of mine with the new Core i5-661 and
58 standard memory speeds (I have gaming memory but haven't speed up to
59 those gaming speeds yet) ran about 4 minutes 18 seconds using XP
60 native.
61
62 This morning, using Gentoo AMD64 and VMWare Player running a Win XP
63 image the same TradeStation benchmark ran 4 minutes 20 seconds.
64 Essentially identical. And with proof that VMWare limited itself to 1
65 processor I suspect I can run 4 copies in parallel and except for the
66 memory and disk access parts of it essentially cut the speed by a
67 factor of 4. (Oh yeah - I'll probably want better cooling...) Of
68 course I'll need to prove this but the future looks bright!
69
70 Not sure if the list allows attachments but I did a screen capture of
71 top showing processor usage as the optimization benchmark was running.
72 1 processor pegged, everything else idle.
73
74 Cheers,
75 Mark

TS Optimization running in VMWare.png image/png