From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: I can use only 3GB aout of install 6GB
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 04:40:41
1 Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com> posted
2 4A023791.6090900@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Thu, 07 May 2009
3 03:21:21 +0200:
4
5 > Dual and quadcore like i7 or Phenom is simple SMP where all nodes see
6 > memory through the same interface.
7 > Modern multisocket i7-based or Opteron is NUMA...
8
9 Exactly, at least on the AMD side, I'm not sure about Intel. Multiple
10 sockets on AMD64 (which means Opteron 2xx old, 2xxx newer, for dual
11 socket, 4xx or 4xxx for quad-plus socket), NUMA capable, since each
12 socket has its own built-in memory manager on the CPU die, with the
13 possibility to hang memory off of each socket.
14
15 Single socket, non-NUMA, don't enable NUMA unless you want to try the
16 kernel NUMA emulation stuff for some reason.
21 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman