From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 18:12:33
1 On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht, mused, then expounded:
3 >> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 >> > Mark Knecht posted on Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:10:04 -0700 as excerpted:
5 >> >
6 >>
7 >> Basic Machine - ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard (4/1/2010) + 24GB
8 >> DDR3 + Core i7-980x Extreme 12 core processor
9 >
10 > The hit to iop performance is mainly due to the large number of cores in
11 > the the high end Intel cpu. I suggest you find a nice 4-core Intel
12 > processor, something non-extreme. you'll find all your IO will improve.
15 Interesting point but not likely to happen. I run 3 Windows VMs all
16 day, most of which are doing numerical calculations and not a huge
17 amount of IO in the Windows environment itself. In my usage model the
18 12 cores get a workout nearly every day.
21 >> 1 SDD - 120GB SATA3 on it's own controller
22 >> 5+ HDD - WD5002ABYS RAID Edition 3 SATA3 drives using Intel integrated
23 >> controllers
26 > Again, if you're serious about RAID, get an LSI MegaRAID card. While I
27 > have my dislikes about the LSI controller, it's a lot faster than using
28 > MD and much faster (and more reliable) than any bios software RAID.
31 I suppose if I accept your assertion above then an LSI MegaRAID might
32 be a better solution specifically because I _am_ using the 12 core
33 Extreme processor.
34
35 Will consider, at least in the long run, if this thread & work doesn't
36 yield significantly improved results over the next few weeks.
37
38 > Oh, and don't believe all the published numbers on drives,
39 > etc...benchmarking is an art.
40 >
41 > Bob
42