From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 17:56:37
1 Mark Knecht, mused, then expounded:
2 > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > > Mark Knecht posted on Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:10:04 -0700 as excerpted:
6 > Basic Machine - ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard (4/1/2010) + 24GB
7 > DDR3 + Core i7-980x Extreme 12 core processor
8
9 The hit to iop performance is mainly due to the large number of cores in
10 the the high end Intel cpu. I suggest you find a nice 4-core Intel
11 processor, something non-extreme. you'll find all your IO will improve.
14 > 1 SDD - 120GB SATA3 on it's own controller
15 > 5+ HDD - WD5002ABYS RAID Edition 3 SATA3 drives using Intel integrated
16 > controllers
19 Again, if you're serious about RAID, get an LSI MegaRAID card. While I
20 have my dislikes about the LSI controller, it's a lot faster than using
21 MD and much faster (and more reliable) than any bios software RAID.
22
23 Oh, and don't believe all the published numbers on drives,
24 etc...benchmarking is an art.
25
26 Bob
27 --