From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub and maximum kernel file size
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 23:04:50
1 Duncan wrote:
4 >> Duncan wrote:
8 >>> Did you try md-mod,start_dirty_degraded=1 (AFAIK this applies to
9 >>> RAID-4/5/6 only)?
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >> No
15 > Hmm, and you said RAID-5, right?
18 Yes. I tried now to boot without initramfs and it works- with and
19 without that "md-mod,start_dirty_degraded=1" option.
20 But this is now. Will it continue to do so, remains to be seen. But no
21 matter what, initramfs remains a keeper for me.
22
23 BTW: Where is this mod-module name way of setting inbuilt module
24 variables documented ?
25 I have uvesafb built-in as part of kernel and had to check the sources (
26 documentation was out of date at some point ) to coem up with command
27 line setting, like "uvesafb.mode_option=1280x1024-16@60 uvesafb.mtrr=3".
28
29 Could I also write "md.start_dirty_degraded=1" ?
33 > I think one of the reasons I may have never had to use that option on
34 > RAID-6 is that it has two-way parity, so chances are either one or the
35 > other will still be valid -- even if it crashes in the middle of a write,
36 > one stripe-write might be invalid, but as long as I wasn't already
37 > running degraded, the state on the others should be clean, either clean-
38 > state from before the write, or clean-state from after the write, thus
39 > ensuring data integrity. Naturally, due to hardware cache buffers, etc,
40 > this isn't entirely guaranteed (unless the write buffers are disabled),
41 > but the chances are far higher of a clean state than they are with RAID-5
42 > with its single-way parity.
43 >
44 Yes, but RAID-6 isn't simple expansion of RAID-5 concept.
45
46 It has two parity chunks-P and Q. While P is simple XOR parity from
47 RAID-5, Q is substantially compute intensive.
48 Further, while Q generation is "expensive", CPU can utilise its SSE
49 artillery and soften the perceived extra load.
50
51 But when CPU has to actually use Q parity for data regeneration, things
52 come to a crawl. That part is quite intensive and SSE is useless there,
53 so best CPU can do is use tabelaric approach and regenerate data
54 byte-by-byte.
55
56 So SW RAID-6 has come to be a bad idea, at least for me and my
57 applications. HW RAID-6 with good HW is another story altogether, though.
58
59 With SW, you pay extra drive, small extra power consumption, some extra
60 cycles for Q generation ( not quite inconsequiential) and BIG penalty
61 for regeneration - so big that usually "doing bussines as usual" while
62 in such degraded mode is out of the question.
63
64 So after some experience with SW and HW RAID-6 i opted for RAID-5 with
65 cold spare and regular backups for pretty much everything.
66
67 > (FWIW I do run without UPS. Unfortunately the reality is that a proper
68 > UPS for this level of machine, at least back when I was running CRTs,
69 > would cost near what the machine itself did, and given that I was already
70 > buying near the top of my budget range that put a UPS out of
71 > consideration. Since I switched to LCD I've been considering it again
72 > and would likely have one by now had the economy and therefore my budget
73 > not tanked.)
74 >
75 I did run for some time all of my machines through UPS only to find this
76 costs too much.
77
78 So I switched to DC. I rectified all three 220VAC phases to 260-300V DC
79 and backed this up by 20x 100Ah-12V lead-acid akus in series. Even
80 without akus it feels pretty much close to having UPS. When interruption
81 happens, 90% of the time it affects only one phase, so remaining ones
82 take over and I don't feel a thing...
83
84 For my remote location I can't have 20 akus there, so I am working on
85 PSU modification which would allow me to work on two...
86
87 > That's what my "rootbak" partition is for. =:^)
88 >
89 Yes. And I use same thing on my workstation. Still, that doesn't quite
90 match robustness of initrd.
91 With initrd, if you can get to the phase where grub takes over, you can
92 pretty much boot. Even if your kernel can't work with root drive for
93 whatever reason ( missing driver for SATA,AHCI, ext4 ...)
94
95 > Well, you /could/ burn a CD with a kernel built with the proper options,
96 > but you are correct, booting from a CD is indeed a hassle.
97 >
98 On Gentoo, how to do this is far from obvious.
99
100 > Actually, I've seen mods for *-WRT class routers and software (OpenWRT,
101 > DD-WRT, Tomato, etc) that do pretty much the same thing, solder a USB
102 > based flash module to the thing and expand their storage and flexibility
103 > by an order or two of magnitude! Run a server, etc, directly off your
104 > router! They can be made detachable, or not, as desired.
107 Cool. If you have a link to such a thing, it would be apppreciated ;o)
108 > But if I were doing it over, as I said earlier, I'd definitely create
109 > separate RAID-6s instead of the single partitioned RAID-6, and use two
110 > rootbaks so three root filesystem images total, one on each of three
111 > separate RAID-6s, so if one failed to come up, I'd just change the
112 > command line as necessary to bring up the second, and if it failed, the
113 > third.
116 Not every application has plenty of storage space.
117
118 > I'd also split the RAID-1, either creating two single-disk RAID-1s or
119 > more likely, four separate /boot images direct on the individual spindles.
122 This is what I do now. Four way RAID-1 for boot is exactly that.
123 GRUB sees it as four separate drives with ext2 that can be mounted
124 exactly the same as any other drive, so I can boot from any of them.
125 When kernel takes over, it assembles them into an md array, so you can
126 mount /boot and update all four drives with exactly the same data, when
127 needed...