From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub and maximum kernel file size
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:22:10
1 Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com> posted
2 49DE848D.60905@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Fri, 10 Apr 2009
3 01:28:13 +0200:
4
5 > Duncan wrote:
8 >> Did you try md-mod,start_dirty_degraded=1 (AFAIK this applies to
9 >> RAID-4/5/6 only)?
10 >>
11 > No
12
13 Hmm, and you said RAID-5, right?
14
15 I think one of the reasons I may have never had to use that option on
16 RAID-6 is that it has two-way parity, so chances are either one or the
17 other will still be valid -- even if it crashes in the middle of a write,
18 one stripe-write might be invalid, but as long as I wasn't already
19 running degraded, the state on the others should be clean, either clean-
20 state from before the write, or clean-state from after the write, thus
21 ensuring data integrity. Naturally, due to hardware cache buffers, etc,
22 this isn't entirely guaranteed (unless the write buffers are disabled),
23 but the chances are far higher of a clean state than they are with RAID-5
24 with its single-way parity.
25
26 That's one reason that at least after I groked RAID-4/5/6 a bit better,
27 I've been keen to get back a fully functional RAID-6 after a crash with
28 one of the disks returning unclean on reboot, thus degrading the RAID
29 until it is recovered. In I believe two cases I've degraded to *NO*
30 redundancy, dropping TWO disks out due to not catching the one dropped
31 out for some time (this was before I really groked this RAID stuff, so I
32 wasn't being quite as careful). Had I crashed again before recovery of
33 at least one of the drives in those cases, thus before getting back at
34 least single-way-parity, chances are I'd have had to use the
35 start_dirty_degraded option, with its corresponding risk of lost data
36 (the reason for the option and its defaulting OFF) due to failure of the
37 data integrity guarantee RAID-4/5/6 normally includes.
38
39 (FWIW I do run without UPS. Unfortunately the reality is that a proper
40 UPS for this level of machine, at least back when I was running CRTs,
41 would cost near what the machine itself did, and given that I was already
42 buying near the top of my budget range that put a UPS out of
43 consideration. Since I switched to LCD I've been considering it again
44 and would likely have one by now had the economy and therefore my budget
45 not tanked.)
46
47 At least as I understand it, given RAID-5 only, loss of one spindle as
48 "dirty" is fine, but if the system crashes while recovering it and the
49 write-intent bits indicate an uncompleted write on the two remaining
50 spindles, that option is needed as the alternative would be loss of the
51 data integrity guarantee. With a RAID-6, there's the additional
52 protection of two-way parity and thus a second spindle can drop out
53 without killing the data integrity guarantee, but the risk remains the
54 same if there's a crash in that state and a /third/ drops out as unclean.
55
56 So I guess I'm glad I decided to go with the additional protection of
57 RAID-6, even if I did so before I fully groked what I was doing.
58
59 >> What about listing the appropriate component devices, as so:
60 >> md=d1,/dev/sda1,/dev/sdb1,/dev/sdc1... ?
61 >>
62 > Yes. I had it by default. Without it never seemed to work. With it, it
63 > worked _sometimes_.
64
65 Wow. I guess under those conditions I'd probably be going initramfs
66 too. Fortunately my experience has been far more robust, even without a
67 UPS. If that has been due to my choice of RAID-6, over a RAID-5 with a
68 hot-spare, I guess I'm glad I made the cautious choice even if I didn't
69 fully groke the implications back when I made it.
70
71 > Initramfs seem to be superior solution. With it there is more stuff I
72 > can do, like trying to rebuild array, fsck filesystems thoroughly etc.
73 >
74 > In fact, this is what it does now. Amongst other things, it checks
75 > /etc/fstab, gets filesystem types for "/boot" and "/" and e2fscks them,
76 > if needed.
77
78 That's what my "rootbak" partition is for. =:^)
79
80 > Being early adopter of ext4 I was many times in situation when boot-time
81 > e2fsck found some serious errors but demanded to be rerun on unmounted
82 > media to be able to finish. Without initramfs, only way to do this is
83 > through CD, but kernel there doesn't recognise disks on my Dell. Besides
84 > that it is tedious.
85
86 Well, you /could/ burn a CD with a kernel built with the proper options,
87 but you are correct, booting from a CD is indeed a hassle.
88
89 But again, a "rootbak" copy of your root partition to fall back on would
90 work just as well as the initramfs, and backups are something people
91 should be doing anyway, so for me anyway, it was less (as in no
92 additional) work.
93
94 > That thingie is _definitely_ very useful and I plan to make it
95 > permanent.
96
97 Indeed, it sounds like it. Of course, a fully functional second copy of
98 the root partition would be even more useful. =:^)
99
100 > I had completed the script that does the packing in maybe two hours ( I
101 > don't remeber anymore ) and it needs maybe a few minutes to make initrd,
102 > copy it to /boot/initrd and old one to /boot/initrd_old. Also, if I need
103 > one more package in the initrd ( say new version of gcc or python etc),
104 > it is only matter of adding package name in one line...
105 >
106 > But I will do something much more compact in C. With maybe an option to
107 > do "DefCon 4" style boot from USB key toolshed.
108 >
109 > I found USB keys to be useful for that role, when opened and with
110 > soldered "in-line" conenctor. With it it becomes small dongle that is
111 > plugged directly into motherboard and so practically part of the
112 > machine.
113 >
114 > Tha way, you get "Terminator style" sturdy machine that is capable of
115 > reboot no matter what just as motherboard, CPU and PSU stay functional.
116 > ;o)
117
118 Indeed. This sounds actually very practical. I believe there's actually
119 motherboards that do it, but it's a high-end feature, with a roll-your-
120 own being much more flexible and much cheaper, for those willing to do it.
121
122 Actually, I've seen mods for *-WRT class routers and software (OpenWRT,
123 DD-WRT, Tomato, etc) that do pretty much the same thing, solder a USB
124 based flash module to the thing and expand their storage and flexibility
125 by an order or two of magnitude! Run a server, etc, directly off your
126 router! They can be made detachable, or not, as desired.
127
128 > Yeah, but what do you do if your raid becomes non-functional for some
129 > reason ?
130 >
131 > I have four disks and two RAIDs. First is boot bartition RAID-1, which
132 > ebncompasess firs 1GB of each disk, second is RAID-5, which has the rest
133 > of the capacity.
134 >
135 > All partitions are typed as "fd"- self-detect RAID. On boot it doesn't
136 > matter. BIOS and GRUB see first partitions as if they were ordinary
137 > partitions with ext2 that happen to have exactly the same content.
138 >
139 > So, if one or more of the disks failed, I could boot with initrd from
140 > whatever disk is left...
141 >
142 > While in initramfs, I check and assemble both arrays and exec
143 > "make-init" ( or whatever its name it is- that util in klibc- it is
144 > effectively thingie that erases everything in /rootfs, remounts new root
145 > to / and starts init )
146
147 Here, it's three RAIDs on 4 disks/spindles, but all three covering the
148 same four spindles, with one each RAID-0/1/6, each running in parallel
149 partitions on each of the four spindles.
150
151 I had initially intended to put recovery software on the RAID-1, and
152 sized it accordingly. However, after I was setup and it was time to do
153 so I decided I didn't actually need it.
154
155 But if I were doing it over, as I said earlier, I'd definitely create
156 separate RAID-6s instead of the single partitioned RAID-6, and use two
157 rootbaks so three root filesystem images total, one on each of three
158 separate RAID-6s, so if one failed to come up, I'd just change the
159 command line as necessary to bring up the second, and if it failed, the
160 third.
161
162 I'd also split the RAID-1, either creating two single-disk RAID-1s or
163 more likely, four separate /boot images direct on the individual spindles.
164
165 I don't think I'd do initramfs, but something that just occurred to me
166 now -- I could actually copy the content of an entire rescue CD to one of
167 the four disks (leaving three as /boot copies), setting it up as an
168 alternative boot I could access directly from BIOS, to recover the rest
169 of the system, should I need to.
170
171 >> I won't be doing nVidia any time soon. Not until they come around to
172 >> properly cooperating with the FLOSS community. YMMV and I know a lot
173 >> of gamers especially value their games above their freedom. That's not
174 >> my life and not my systems and therefore not my call, but what I run
175 >> here IS, and if I wanted to be stuck with proprietaryware, I'd have not
176 >> bothered dumping a decade's worth of experience on MS to start over
177 >> with Linux!
178 >>
179 > Well, at least every fresh version of their driver is available on
180 > Gentoo at the same instant it gets out. Even without it, nvidia's own
181 > installer can figure things out.
182 >
183 > Not so with Radeon. I needed 9.1 version of driver when latest in gentoo
184 > tree was 8.1. I downloaded the thing and died wrestling with damn
185 > scripts halfway through.
186
187 The community wisdom has been this:
188
189 1) If you want an expansion card and freedomware drivers, go with (older)
190 Radeons. For many years it was r2xx based chips at the latest so 92xx
191 series cards. Now the r3xx-r5xx series, pretty much all the xXXX (x300-
192 x1900) cards, are quite well supported, including 3D. The r600 and r700
193 series, basically the hd* cards, aren't as well supported /just/ yet, but
194 development is coming on strong since the specs were released and they
195 look to be reasonably well supported by this time next year.
196
197 2) For the gamers out there and anyone else needing the features only to-
198 date available in proprietaryware only drivers due to lack of specs (or
199 with the later Radeons, only recently available specs), nVidia's the way
200 to go. I believe it's also the choice for integrated video
201 proprietaryware folks, tho I'm not as familiar with that market and
202 honestly don't know. ATI's proprietary drivers have been improving
203 recently (since AMD took them over and they turned over a new leaf in
204 regard to Linux), but for years were, plainly stated, crap. While nVidia
205 has refused to open the specs, they HAVE been reasonably good -- by far
206 and away the best -- with their closed source Linux drivers, so there's
207 no question, that's the way to go if you don't care about the
208 proprietaryware aspect and are willing to jump thru the hoops and accept
209 the delays it forces on users and the community in general.
210
211 3) For integrated use with freedomware drivers, in the historical mid-
212 term, Intel was the top choice and remains a good one. Of course, that
213 means Intel systems as well, AMD fans need not apply, but that's the way
214 it is. Since AMD bought ATI and with the resulting changes there, in
215 theory they should have a working integrated video AMD/ATI platform
216 freedomware solution either new or more likely coming, but I really don't
217 know. In the laptop/integrated market today, I'd personally chose Intel,
218 no question about it.
219
220 > I don't get what kind of machine did they write that thing for- it sure
221 > as hell wasn't anything like mine.
222 > Also, when it comes to OpenGL performance, nVidia is still the king as I
223 > understand.
224
225 Yes. As I said, ATI's proprietaryware Linux drivers have had the
226 reputation as crap. If you are doing proprietaryware, until /very/
227 recently (as in this year), nVidia, hands-down. That said, ATI's latest
228 have improved a lot, from what I've read, to the point Phoronix among
229 others seems to be recommending them evenly with nVidia now. /That/
230 said, I'm honestly not interested enough in the proprietaryware side to
231 be the one to talk to about this. But if you're in the market for brand
232 new higher end graphics cards right now, do at least take a look at the
233 available Phoronix.com resources.
234
235 > I have upgraded my dual setup to three-monitor setup ( 3x Samsung 204B,
236 > 3x1600x1200) and have had to add elcheapo 9400 card to existing dual-DVI
237 > 8800GT.
238 >
239 > Do you know about AMD/ATI Linux drivers- do they do such kind of stuff
240 > without extra wizardry ?
241
242 I don't know much about the proprietaryware side at all. At present, I
243 don't know that much about the newer hardware freedomware drivers either,
244 tho I expect I'll know much more later this year as I'm just now starting
245 to look at upgrading my aging Radeon 9200, since there's actually decent
246 support for newer stuff now.
247
248 What I've seen so far is as I said above, thru the r500 series, basically
249 the Radeon xXXXX cards, support is now close to that on the older cards
250 and since they're newer, that means better/more-capabilities in many
251 cases. But for the current r600 and r700 parts, basically hd* cards,
252 support is under fast and furious development but is lagging six months
253 minimum, more like nine. Still, by next spring support should be quite
254 good.
255
256 I expect I'll be buying a near top of the series r500 xXXXX card, here,
257 for three reasons. (1) Support is more solid currently. (2) I'm still
258 running AGP and PCI-X, NOT PCI-E (FWIW, this is the last major system
259 upgade I plan on this thing, tho I expect to be running it several years
260 still), so for me, the benefits (or even availability) of the r600/r700
261 chip HD* cards aren't likely to be that great over the cheaper r500 chip
262 xXXXX cards. (3) I could never justify $400+ for a graphics card in any
263 case, and as a couple generations out, r5xx chip xXXXX cards should be
264 cheap in comparison to the r6xx/r7xx chip HD* cards.
265
266 Specifically to your question, I really don't know on the multi-card
267 thing. I had it working years ago (xf86 era, with the nVidia card and
268 proprietary driver and an old 4 MB S3 Virge), but have stuck with single-
269 card dual-out solutions since upgrading to dual 21/22" CRTs @ 1600x1200
270 each some years ago, and later to dual 1920x1200 LCDs, currently. (I
271 wanted the 30" 2560x1600 LCDs, but $1000+ each plus a new card at the
272 same time, to handle dual-dual-link-DVI, wasn't in the cards. There's
273 always the next upgrade cycle, I guess.) I /had/ tried it with early
274 xorg era and Radeon r1xx/r2xx based cards and freedomware drivers, but
275 didn't get it working. I've not tried it since, however, as resolutions
276 and screen sizes have improved to the point where I've not found it as
277 pressing as it once was.
278
279 I read somewhere that support for multi-card had broken at one point in
280 the transfer from the old multi-screen entry layout section
281 hard-xorg.conf-configured setups to the newer dynamic PnP xrandr based
282 setups, but I don't know if that was xorg-wide, just for that driver,
283 just for xrandr at that point, or what. I also have little idea whether
284 it has been fixed, altho obviously if you're running three monitors on
285 two cards with an nVidia driver, it still works with that.
286
287 Anyway, ask me in Sept. or Nov. or so, and I'll probably be far more
288 informed, as I'll be fresh off of doing all the research necessary to
289 determine what I want for an upgrade, instead of just starting it. =:^)
294 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman