From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 18:58:29
1 On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Thanks Rich. The picture is getting clearer and other than getting my
4 >> backup SSD installation up to date it's good to know there's no
5 >> difficult requirements for me to deal with at this time. Being that I
6 >> have been (for the last 5-6 years anyway) a 'stable' Gentoo user it's
7 >> to my advantage if things stay basically the same over time.
8 >>
9 >> After your and Canek's responses it's clear that within my framework I
10 >> won't be moving to eudev or mdev. The only systemd question I might
11 >> need to answer going forward is for my dad's machine. He's got 15
12 >> years of email traffic in Evolution and I've not investigated running
13 >> Evolution in any desktop environment other than Gnome. There's no way
14 >> at this point to move him away from Evolution so I just need to figure
15 >> out over time (the next year maybe) how to best deal with that.
16 >
17 > Please don't top post.
20 Sorry. I seldom do that and don't know why I did that time.
21
22 > I've been using Evolution for more than 10 years, always with GNOME,
23 > but I'm pretty sure you can run it in every other DE.
26 Probably true. The bar I need to hurdle, probably not much of a jump,
27 would be getting any new DE to simply look enough like what he
28 currently has in Gnome 2. I suspect that XFCE with identical wallpaper
29 and a little thought about placing the right app-start icons on the
30 desktop would be enough to give me 'plausible deniability' about
31 whatever changes I actually made under the hood.
32
33 Leaving out the issue of password changes I hope few folks have to
34 deal with the phone call where, after 10 years of no changes, a loved
35 one calls you and asks "What is this screen that is asking for my User
36 Name and Password want me to do? I don't remember..." I am so thankful
37 for both the remote administration capabilities of Linux and the
38 security model/lack of viruses. I cannot imagine how painful my life
39 would be today if he was still using Windows living 350 miles away.
40
41 Cheers,
42 Mark