From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 18:42:15
1 On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Thanks Rich. The picture is getting clearer and other than getting my
3 > backup SSD installation up to date it's good to know there's no
4 > difficult requirements for me to deal with at this time. Being that I
5 > have been (for the last 5-6 years anyway) a 'stable' Gentoo user it's
6 > to my advantage if things stay basically the same over time.
7 >
8 > After your and Canek's responses it's clear that within my framework I
9 > won't be moving to eudev or mdev. The only systemd question I might
10 > need to answer going forward is for my dad's machine. He's got 15
11 > years of email traffic in Evolution and I've not investigated running
12 > Evolution in any desktop environment other than Gnome. There's no way
13 > at this point to move him away from Evolution so I just need to figure
14 > out over time (the next year maybe) how to best deal with that.
15
16 Please don't top post.
17
18 I've been using Evolution for more than 10 years, always with GNOME,
19 but I'm pretty sure you can run it in every other DE.
20
21 Regards.
22 --
23 Canek Peláez Valdés