From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 18:32:15
1 Thanks Rich. The picture is getting clearer and other than getting my
2 backup SSD installation up to date it's good to know there's no
3 difficult requirements for me to deal with at this time. Being that I
4 have been (for the last 5-6 years anyway) a 'stable' Gentoo user it's
5 to my advantage if things stay basically the same over time.
6
7 After your and Canek's responses it's clear that within my framework I
8 won't be moving to eudev or mdev. The only systemd question I might
9 need to answer going forward is for my dad's machine. He's got 15
10 years of email traffic in Evolution and I've not investigated running
11 Evolution in any desktop environment other than Gnome. There's no way
12 at this point to move him away from Evolution so I just need to figure
13 out over time (the next year maybe) how to best deal with that.
14
15 Cheers,
16 Mark
17