From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] What should the swap size be for 4G ram?
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 15:34:30
1 On Samstag, 22. September 2007, Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > P.V.Anthony wrote:
3 > >> If following the old rule, 8G should be allocated for swap. I feel
4 > >> that is too much. Does 2.6 kernel really need so much of swap with 4G
5 > >> of ram?
6 > >>
7 > >> Was thinking of just using a 1G swap file for safety. Please share
8 > >> some thoughts on the this swap size issue.
9 > >
10 > > Please ignore this email. It looks like I have asked something similar
11 > > to this before. I will read the old thread.
12 >
13 > That's Ok, I got a chuckle out of it. You have Duncan who doesn't use
14 > swap at all (I think), and you have me:
15 >
16 > total used free shared buffers cached
17 > Mem: 2058448 2041388 17060 0 82084 420860
18 > -/+ buffers/cache: 1538444 520004
19 > Swap: 17514480 1152972 16361508
20 >
21 > I guess there is a happy medium. But what else am I going to do with
22 > that odd space that doesn't fit easily into a RAID-5? I figure that if
23 > the kernel can find a use for it I might as well let it... :) I
24 > probably have 50G more of unpartitioned space lying around since I've
25 > installed my 2 RAID-5s on non-identical drives. I guess I'll just have
26 > to wait until ZFS takes off on linux... :)
27
28 why? zfs is slow and is mixing things that should be in different layers. One
29 argument against reiser4 always was 'it violates the layering' - well this is
30 even more true for zfs.
31
32 And from this numbers:
33 http://tastic.brillig.org/~jwb/zfs-xfs-ext4.html