From: B Vance <anonymous.pseudonym.88@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] What should the swap size be for 4G ram?
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:35:52
1 On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 17:22 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Samstag, 22. September 2007, Richard Freeman wrote:
3 > > P.V.Anthony wrote:
4 > > >> If following the old rule, 8G should be allocated for swap. I feel
5 > > >> that is too much. Does 2.6 kernel really need so much of swap with 4G
6 > > >> of ram?
7 > > >>
8 > > >> Was thinking of just using a 1G swap file for safety. Please share
9 > > >> some thoughts on the this swap size issue.
10 > > >
11 > > > Please ignore this email. It looks like I have asked something similar
12 > > > to this before. I will read the old thread.
13 > >
14 > > That's Ok, I got a chuckle out of it. You have Duncan who doesn't use
15 > > swap at all (I think), and you have me:
16 > >
17 > > total used free shared buffers cached
18 > > Mem: 2058448 2041388 17060 0 82084 420860
19 > > -/+ buffers/cache: 1538444 520004
20 > > Swap: 17514480 1152972 16361508
21 > >
22 > > I guess there is a happy medium. But what else am I going to do with
23 > > that odd space that doesn't fit easily into a RAID-5? I figure that if
24 > > the kernel can find a use for it I might as well let it... :) I
25 > > probably have 50G more of unpartitioned space lying around since I've
26 > > installed my 2 RAID-5s on non-identical drives. I guess I'll just have
27 > > to wait until ZFS takes off on linux... :)
28 >
29 > why? zfs is slow and is mixing things that should be in different layers. One
30 > argument against reiser4 always was 'it violates the layering' - well this is
31 > even more true for zfs.
32 >
33 > And from this numbers:
34 > http://tastic.brillig.org/~jwb/zfs-xfs-ext4.html
35 >
36 > it doesn't look so great.
37 Maybe it's just me, but I tend to take comparisons of apples and oranges
38 with a salt block. To make that a useful comparison, the kernel
39 parameters would have to be shown as well as the level of support for
40 the various hardware. The second is his write-up does not match his
41 numbers. He writes ZFS "...has very bad sequential transfer with
42 hardware RAID and appalling sequential transfer with software RAID" but
43 fails to mention how equally bad EXT4 was at the same task. XFS does
44 appear to blow them both out of the water in this area. The rest of the
45 tests have ZFS being roughly equal to (or in some cases better then)
46 then the other two options.
47
48 Maybe the next time, the test will be run using the userland ZFS on the
49 same system as the EXT4 and XFS system. At least that way you can
50 adjust the numbers for the overhead of userland talking to the kernel.
51 Apples to Apples with a handicap is far more accurate then apples to
52 oranges.
53
54 I don't know enough about the layers you mention so I can't say whether
55 that's a real problem or not.
60 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list