From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: emerge -s world faild with xdvik and timidity++
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 16:22:54
1 Dieter Ries <clip2@×××.de> posted 200609031520.12992.clip2@×××.de,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 03 Sep 2006 15:20:11 +0200:
3
4 > Am Samstag 02 September 2006 16:35 schrieb Duncan:
5 >> Dieter Ries <clip2@×××.de> posted 200609021328.03182.clip2@×××.de,
6 >>
7 >> excerpted below, on Sat, 02 Sep 2006 13:28:00 +0200:
8 >> > two of 600 ebuilds of my --emptytree world with gcc 4.1.1 failed, xdvik
9 >> > and timidity++. here is the output :
10 >>
11 >> Interesting. xdvik I don't have merged, but I do timidity.
12 >
13 > a friend of mine tried it on his opteron server, and he got the same errors,
14 > so if some people on this list could try a emerge -avD xdvik, we could make a
15 > bug report with many testers.
16 >
17 > timidity and xdvik both worked with the ~amd64 flag,
18
19 xdvik's last in-tree changelog entry is from back in Nov-2004, so it's
20 obvious there's not a lot of activity on it. I'm actually surprised the
21 ~arch version from then works with gcc 4.1 without further tweaks, so it's
22 not surprising at all that an even older version wouldn't. Given your
23 results, I'd suggest a stable keywording bug would be appropriate for the
24 package. (A quick search here didn't turn up any bugs yet filed for
25 stabilization of the ~arch version yet.)
26
27 You said you'd verified timidity ~amd64 works on stable. A quick look at
28 the bug I linked dealing with it doesn't have any amd64 specific
29 confirmation yet, and I don't see a comment from anyone with a
30 username similar to what you use here. Please add your comment to the
31 effect that -r2 works for you on stable amd64, as it'll help the amd64 arch
32 folks know it has been tested and works on a stable platform. I'd do it
33 myself only I can't properly say it works on stable, since I'm running
34 unstable everything else as well. Simply skipping it as it's now working
35 for you means it'll take amd64 longer to get the confirmation they need to
36 stabilize it for other users, and isn't a very nice thing to do now that
37 you have the information, in a community supported distribution like
38 Gentoo.
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
46 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list