From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 19:16:26
1 Am 20.06.2013 21:10, schrieb Mark Knecht:
2 > Hi,
3 > Does anyone know of info on how the starting sector number might
4 > impact RAID performance under Gentoo? The drives are WD-500G RE3
5 > drives shown here:
6 >
7 > http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD5002ABYS-3-5-inch-Enterprise/dp/B001EMZPD0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
8 >
9 > These are NOT 4k sector sized drives.
10 >
11 > Specifically I'm a 5-drive RAID6 for about 1.45TB of storage. My
12 > benchmarking seems abysmal at around 40MB/S using dd copying large
13 > files. It's higher, around 80MB/S if the file being transferred is
14 > coming from an SSD, but even 80MB/S seems slow to me. I see a LOT of
15 > wait time in top. And my 'large file' copies might not be large enough
16 > as the machine has 24GB of DRAM and I've only been copying 21GB so
17 > it's possible some of that is cached.
18 >
19 > Then I looked again at how I partitioned the drives originally and
20 > see the starting sector of sector 3 as 8594775. I started wondering if
21 > something like 4K block sizes at the file system level might be
22 > getting munged across 16k chunk sizes in the RAID. Maybe the blocks
23 > are being torn apart in bad ways for performance? That led me down a
24 > bunch of rabbit holes and I haven't found any light yet.
25 >
26 > Looking for some thoughtful ideas from those more experienced in this area.
27 >
28 > Cheers,
29 > Mark
33 man mkfs.xfs