From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: ohci-hcd slows down boot
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:02:13
1 Karol Krizka posted <200510212218.34665.kkrizka@×××××.com>, excerpted
2 below, on Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:18:26 -0700:
3
4 > On Friday 21 October 2005 21:59, Duncan wrote:
5 >> Karol Krizka posted <200510211844.12551.kkrizka@×××××.com>, excerpted
6 >>
7 >> below, on Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:44:06 -0700:
8 >> > For some time I have been having this problem: when bottom the system
9 >> > hangs for several minutes before continuing duing the "Checking for
10 >> > ohci-hcd..." (I think, might be "Loading") stage. I am not sure what the
11 >> > problem is and it has persisted through several kernel versions. Do you
12 >> > know if there is a way to fix this? If not can it be removed?
13 >>
14 >> You could compile the kernel without the affected module.
15 >>
16 >> Note that with USB there are three bus standards to choose from, OHCI and
17 >> UHCI are USB 1.x standards (UHCI is the Intel/Via solution, OHCI the
18 >> community standard, doing more in hardware, lspci -v will usually list the
19 >> controller with the interface you need) EHCI is USB 2.x).
20 >>
21 > 00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 USB 1.1 (rev a5) (prog-if
22 > 10 [OHCI])
23
24 Well, so much for that idea, unless you can run with only the USB2/EHCI
25 port it mentions further down in the material I snipped...
26
27 There's a some other possibilities...
28
29 1) Do you have your USB stuff compiled into the kernel or as modules? I
30 know at one point some of the USB stuff wouldn't work compiled in, but
31 would as modules, for whatever reason. Regardless, consider compiling it
32 the /other/ way.
33
34 2) Find someone else with the same board or at least the same chipset and
35 compare notes. This is likely the best strategy, but one I can't help
36 with as I haven't an NVidia board.
37
38 3) Check documentation (the kernel docs, google, other) for possible
39 parameters you can feed the modules when they load. (Of course, this
40 means compiling them as modules.) Maybe you can tell it how many to look
41 for so it stops looking after that, or something.
42
43 4) Figure out a bit more about where in the boot process it's pausing,
44 and post anything from the log. Perhaps it's something having to do with
45 a UDEV misconfiguration or conflict, or the like, and changing
46 UDEV/hotplug/coldplug/whatever version and/or config will help.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
52 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
56 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list