From: Karol Krizka <kkrizka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: ohci-hcd slows down boot
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 02:47:58
1 On Saturday 22 October 2005 02:00, Duncan wrote:
2 > Karol Krizka posted <200510212218.34665.kkrizka@×××××.com>, excerpted
3 >
4 > below, on Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:18:26 -0700:
5 > > On Friday 21 October 2005 21:59, Duncan wrote:
6 > >> Karol Krizka posted <200510211844.12551.kkrizka@×××××.com>, excerpted
7 > >>
8 > >> below, on Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:44:06 -0700:
9 > >> > For some time I have been having this problem: when bottom the system
10 > >> > hangs for several minutes before continuing duing the "Checking for
11 > >> > ohci-hcd..." (I think, might be "Loading") stage. I am not sure what
12 > >> > the problem is and it has persisted through several kernel versions.
13 > >> > Do you know if there is a way to fix this? If not can it be removed?
14 > >>
15 > >> You could compile the kernel without the affected module.
16 > >>
17 > >> Note that with USB there are three bus standards to choose from, OHCI
18 > >> and UHCI are USB 1.x standards (UHCI is the Intel/Via solution, OHCI the
19 > >> community standard, doing more in hardware, lspci -v will usually list
20 > >> the controller with the interface you need) EHCI is USB 2.x).
21 > >
22 > > 00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 USB 1.1 (rev a5)
23 > > (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
24 >
25 > Well, so much for that idea, unless you can run with only the USB2/EHCI
26 > port it mentions further down in the material I snipped...
27 >
28 > There's a some other possibilities...
29 >
30 > 1) Do you have your USB stuff compiled into the kernel or as modules? I
31 > know at one point some of the USB stuff wouldn't work compiled in, but
32 > would as modules, for whatever reason. Regardless, consider compiling it
33 > the /other/ way.
34 >
35 They were compiled as modules, I am going to try compiling them into the
36 kernel now.
37
38 > 2) Find someone else with the same board or at least the same chipset and
39 > compare notes. This is likely the best strategy, but one I can't help
40 > with as I haven't an NVidia board.
41 >
42 > 3) Check documentation (the kernel docs, google, other) for possible
43 > parameters you can feed the modules when they load. (Of course, this
44 > means compiling them as modules.) Maybe you can tell it how many to look
45 > for so it stops looking after that, or something.
46 >
47 Looking around the kernel configuration I found the following option: USB
48 Peripheral Controller and it's set to NetChip 2280. The other option is
49 Toshiba TC86C001. Do you think that this part could be the problem?
50
51 > 4) Figure out a bit more about where in the boot process it's pausing,
52 > and post anything from the log. Perhaps it's something having to do with
53 > a UDEV misconfiguration or conflict, or the like, and changing
54 > UDEV/hotplug/coldplug/whatever version and/or config will help.
55 >
56 > --
57 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
58 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
59 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
60 > http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
63 Karol Krizka