From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Anybody else having problems with audio/vidio apps and glibc-2.5?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:13:27
1 On Monday 23 October 2006 19:22, Duncan wrote:
2 > I've been having all /sorts/ of problems with formerly stable audio and
3 > video apps crashing recently. The pattern is a crash at launch most (but
4 > not all) of the time, often with some memory error. However, if it
5 > /does/ start and works more than a few minutes, it's fully stable and
6 > will play for hours without issue. xmms, kaffeine, amarok, all affected.
7
8 nope
11 > I didn't notice it until the upgrade to kde-3.5.5, which was my first big
12 > set of apps built using the experimental CFLAG -ftree-vectorize as
13 > discussed here a month or so ago, so I thought it was KDE. However, after
14 > recompiling a bunch of stuff several different times/ways, nothing seemed
15 > to be working.
18 which I am using for some time now. I get konqueror crashes once in a while.
19 Nothing else. (I can make crash konqueror, when I move the mouse over a mpeg
20 and wait for the popup - bang, segfault).
21
22 > Then I chanced across some ongoing discussion about nptl/linux-threads in
23 > glibc-2.5 and forward on the dev list, while I was taking a break from
24 > troubleshooting, and the thought occurred to me that glibc had been
25 > upgraded at about the same time.
26 >
27 > VWALLA! I try to downgrade to glibc-2.4-r4, and get hit with its sanity
28 > downgrade blocker. It won't let me do it. So a quick reboot to my backup
29 > image (still on glibc-2.4-r3) and a quick ROOT=<backup> (which is main
30 > working, since I'm no /on/ backup) export later, I'm emerging glibc-2.4-r4
31 > (which I have binpkged, thanks to FEATURES=buildpkg) over top of what I'm
32 > now convinced is a bad glibc-2.5.
33
34 DO NEVER downgrade glibc! I have been there, bitten by it very, very hard. A
35 nonbooting system, because not even udev runs, is a big problem (I solved it,
36 but it cost me time, sweat and tears).
39 > Meanwhile a potentially useful trick to keep up your sleeve, just in case
40 > you ever find yourself needing to downgrade glibc but the glibc ebuild
41 > failing to let you do so. Reboot to your emergency image, be that a
42 > LiveCD or a backup set of partitions on your hard drive, mount your normal
43 > working filesystem image, set ROOT= to point portage at the normal system
44 > (not the backup), and /then/ do your glibc downgrade. Then boot back to
45 > your regular system and hope the downgrade works, as it did here. =8^)
48 and rebuilt EVERYTHING that was built against the new glibc! Every single app,
49 every lib, everything. You miss something and you will suffer.
50 --
51 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list