From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [100% OFF TOPIC] Where does one learn about running vmware under Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:22:52
1 On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Peter Humphrey
2 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Friday 30 January 2009 15:54:43 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >> I've wanted to ask this for a while. I've never seen vmware running.
5 >> I'm curious about running a few Windows apps on my AMD64 machine, if
6 >> possible. Does stuff like sound work? I don't need any special
7 >> hardware. (I think) Just disk, graphics and network.
8 >
9 > In the case of VMware-server, sound works as long as your client is on the
10 > same machine as the server - not over the network, in other words.
11
12 Expected as sound over the network isn't the greatest thing most of
13 the time anyway.
14 >
15 >> How well does this work? vmware seems to have a good reputation.
16 >
17 > I used to run it quite effectively. It was amusing to have a screen saver
18 > running in a window: the one containing VMware. I only stopped using it
19 > when I started running XP on a new laptop, which suited me a bit better.
22 good info. Thanks.
23
24 - Mark