From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [100% OFF TOPIC] Where does one learn about running vmware under Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:18:40
1 On Friday 30 January 2009 15:54:43 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > I've wanted to ask this for a while. I've never seen vmware running.
3 > I'm curious about running a few Windows apps on my AMD64 machine, if
4 > possible. Does stuff like sound work? I don't need any special
5 > hardware. (I think) Just disk, graphics and network.
6
7 In the case of VMware-server, sound works as long as your client is on the
8 same machine as the server - not over the network, in other words.
9
10 > How well does this work? vmware seems to have a good reputation.
11
12 I used to run it quite effectively. It was amusing to have a screen saver
13 running in a window: the one containing VMware. I only stopped using it
14 when I started running XP on a new laptop, which suited me a bit better.
17 Rgds
18 Peter