From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Memory Limit
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:49:04
1 On Tuesday 21 February 2006 15:48, Ryan Rice wrote:
2 > I am having a problem putting 32GB or more of RAM into my system with
3 > Gentoo.
4 >
5 > I can install Gentoo (2005.1 r1) perfectly fine even on 30GB or lower,
6 > once I get up in to the OS, if I shut down the machine and stock it up
7 > to 64GB, when the system comes back online, and goes to boot the kernel
8 > out of the loader, the system resets itself and goes back to POST. Any
9 > ideas?
10 >
11 > I've even tried to re-compile to kernel 2.6.15.4 and that gives me a
12 > panic citing an Oops! Attempted to kill init!
13 >
14 > Let me know if you'd like more detail.
15
16 Does the kernel reboot itself or is it grub that chokes? Does it also have
17 the problems with 32 GB, or with 48 GB? And what about 63 (if you can
18 test that). You might also want to try to get at the output of the kernel
19 before it reboots.
20
21 Paul
24 Paul de Vrieze