From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] new clean rebuild
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 17:29:27
1 On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > hi,
3 >
4 > i'm starting to feel a little frustated by the state of my current system:
5 > it has quite some misbehavior with stuff like permissions, orphaned files,
6 > packages built and still slotted (but are they really needed) and a great
7 > deal of static links that now are giving me a little headache.
8 > for this reason i've started to manually handle a little the cleaning of the
9 > system, but after some days of work i've arrived at the decision that a new
10 > rebuild from scratch might be an interesting idea.
11 > i haven't started it because it would take some days (about 10 days) to
12 > setup the system and i'm thinking of a world rebuild instead.
13 > now i'd like to ask you the following questions:
14 >
15 > 1. what options should i use to build a whole system that is not statically
16 > linked (all of xorg packages, a lot of other packages compile statically
17 > linked libraries)?!
18 > 2. is better to rebuild world and mantain the config files that i have now
19 > or to rebuild from scratch and then reconfigure?!
20 > 3. i'd like to use a cyphered lvm2 partition at least for /home. if i
21 > compile the system anew in a chroot on the actual system would i be able to
22 > put /home and eventually other stuff on cyphered partitions at the moment in
23 > which i would recopy the new system in its definite place (after the chroot
24 > new installation would be completed i'd put them in the actual place of the
25 > old one from a live cd via cp -a)?
26 > 4. live packages issues: i need (for the moment) to go with libdrm, x11-drm,
27 > mesa, mesa-glcore, dri2proto and xorg-server from git or be unable to run
28 > compiz-fusion on my board (x200m) and from all the tests i've been doing i
29 > cannot have this configuration to work with kde4 (i'm on svn branch). i like
30 > kde4, even if it has some stuff that isn't as good as it was on old 3.5.x,
31 > but my system continues to freeze when i try to run it with xorg-server from
32 > git. has anyone been able to have xorg-server live ebuild and kde4 to work?!
33 > i've looked in a lot of places on the web but haven't been able to find
34 > anyone with this configuration around.
35 > 5. it seems that synaptics and vesa xorg driver don't build on the live
36 > version of xorg-server and i was wondering if someone, instead, has had them
37 > working?!
38 >
39 > thanks a lot.
40 >
41 > --
42 > dott. ing. beso
43
44 Just some general thoughts off the top of my head. My AMD64 Gentoo
45 system is the most stable of everything I run.
46
47 1) Mask >grub-0.97.r4 for now.
48 2) Add EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y" to make.conf
49 2) eix-sync
50 3) eselect profile to 2008.0
51 4) energe -ep system and look at flags.
52 5) emerge -e system
53 6) emerge -e system (yes, a second time, it's just an hour or two)
54 7) Unmask newest eix if necessary and then emerge eix
55 8) eix-sync
56 9) emerge -ep world and look at flags. Adjust as necessary.
57 10) emerge -DuN world
58
59 and enjoy.
60
61 At this point I'd look at eix-test-obsolete and clean things up. I'd
62 then run emerge -p --depclean and think about what it wants to do, and
63 probably do it because there will be things left over from before.
64 After that emerge -DuN world to check the depclean and
65 revdep-rebuild/eix-test-obsolete to find any last issues.
66
67 If that doesn't keep ya busy I have no idea what will. ;-)
68
69 Just some ideas,
70 Mark
71 --