From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How much value does llvm provide for a low-use laptop?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 06:36:09
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 17 Apr 2017 21:15:00 -0700 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> Geez Duncan, get over it.
5 > I was over it. One sentence request as I was answering the question that
6 > was asked. That was it.
7 >
8 > Until someone (not you!) questioned that one sentence request and I
9 > needed to fill in the reasoning behind it.
10 >
11 >> I don't send HTML by default and you know that.
12 > +1 =:^)
13 >
14 >> If you don't want to read and respond then don't, but get over the idea
15 >> that you alone are the keeper of what's right for 7 billion people on
16 >> the Internet and move on.
17 > I have a simple rule. When I reply to an HTML mail, I ask that people
18 > turn it off. But only if I'm replying for other reasons, and it's
19 > normally short and polite. As it was here. (Tho sometimes I explain why
20 > in the first post too, but I still try to keep it brief and to the
21 > point... relatively, for my posts, anyway.)
22 >
23 > If it happens repeatedly, I may killfile. But I don't at first, because
24 > I've found the short request, making people aware of the problem, is
25 > often enough to get them to fix it, especially if I'm answering as best I
26 > can whatever else at the same time. =:^)
27 >
28 > FWIW, I actually believe people have the /right/ to post in html if they
29 > wish, but I have the right to ask them to stop, too, and to killfile if
30 > they ultimately don't. Fortunately, I don't often need to do so, because
31 > as I said, most people aren't too assertive of that /right/ if asked
32 > nicely by someone trying to answer their posted question at the same time.
33 >
34 > Of course it sometimes gets a longer discussion going too or instead, as
35 > it did here.
39 Most on Gentoo mailing lists expect text only. A lot of people do the
40 same, killfile, filter etc, if a person sends HTML. To ignore what is
41 expected on a Gentoo mailing list only hurts the person ignoring it.
42 The person that killfiled, filters etc the person may have the solution
43 to the problem. Since they no longer see the email, they won't answer it.
44
45 If you see me sending HTML only, let me know. I have mine set to send
46 plain text but I've had a time or two where a upgrade has messed that
47 up. Generally, someone points it out and I go fix it.
48
49 Dale
50