From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:59:06
1 Mark Knecht posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:15:15 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > Now, lest it sound like I'm complaining, I'm really not. I'm just saying
4 > how I see the truth about this stuff. I prefer FLOSS when it does what I
5 > need, but being FLOSS it may or may not be up to the quality I can get
6 > from closed source support, especially in the area of hardware support.
7
8 Agreed with everything you said. Here, when FLOSS doesn't cut it for
9 particular hardware, it's as if that feature doesn't exist on that
10 hardware, since I don't consider non-FLOSS an option (now that I know the
11 difference, as I said, I didn't when I check Linux support for that last
12 nVidia card before I switched). But as I said, that's a personal
13 decision. Others have different priorities and different consciences,
14 and can consider the non-FLOSS option based on the the risks of when the
15 company will drop updates.
20 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman