From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:06:03
1 On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Duncan<1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > Of course, I'd say another moral is to pick hardware that's FLOSS
4 > supported from the beginning, if at all possible.  Sometimes it may not
5 > be, and then one has to decide whether it's worth the negatives to go
6 > servantware or not.  It's a decision I'd make differently than many here,
7 > but it /is/ an individual decision.
8 >
9 <SNIP>
10
11 While I wholeheartedly agree - and whether or not someone takes action
12 on this agreement - the problem with Open Source is there is no real
13 commitment to support anything going forward, there is no commitment
14 to remove bugs if found, and there is no way to tell what the word
15 'supported' really means. It's up to the good graces and kindness of
16 those who write this stuff.
17
18 In the case of the Radeon 9100IGP chipset, it isn't that it's not
19 supported by the FLOSS driver - it was always supported, it's that a
20 certain FEATURE of the hardware wasn't supported. Now, if I had
21 purchased the machine specifically depending on this feature then
22 maybe I would have been more careful about understanding the level of
23 support, but the use of hardware changes over time. You buy a desktop
24 machine today and use it as a file server later. You buy a small
25 machine to use as a router and later decide to use it for MythTV.
26 Things change over time and we cannot always know how something will
27 be used, most especially I think with older hardware. We own it so we
28 try to use it. Better than scraping it and contributing to all the
29 trash problems we have on the planet.
30
31 Beyond all of that motherhood and apple pie stuff there's just the
32 problem of determining what the **REAL** quality and support is for
33 some piece of FLOSS. It's just nice people doing what they want to do.
34 It's great stuff, and amazing that we have what we have - operating
35 systems, desktops, applications - but it's not like we have real
36 quality control or a commitment to continuous improvement.
37
38 The current FLOSS radeon driver says there is support for TVOut on
39 this antiquated chipset.That is correct - it does work. However also
40 in truth, the picture on my TV is not pleasing and is so dark that in
41 many lighting conditions it is simply unusable. There are no xorg.conf
42 settings for changing brightness or contrast so I have no CPU level
43 control over it. Maybe it's an issue with this PC coupled with this
44 TV. Possibly it works better with other TVs. I don't know. The
45 developers do not seem inclined so far to help me out so I'm stuck for
46 now.
47
48 How do I address ALL of that prior to purchase? Look for someone using
49 the same hardware and driving the same TV? What's the chances? If I
50 cannot address ALL of it then it's still a shot in the dark.
51
52 Now, lest it sound like I'm complaining, I'm really not. I'm just
53 saying how I see the truth about this stuff. I prefer FLOSS when it
54 does what I need, but being FLOSS it may or may not be up to the
55 quality I can get from closed source support, especially in the area
56 of hardware support. If the closed source driver makes my wife happy
57 then who am I to tell her she cannot use it? Just because I'm
58 sys-admin for our midget little home network doesn't mean I want to
59 cook my own dinners or sleep on the back porch. We have wild animals
60 here. I'd like some guarantee of not being eaten at night! ;-)
61
62 Just my 2 cents,
63 Mark