From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:43:26
1 Mark Knecht posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 07:56:25 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > We need better tools for creating and maintaining personal overlays.
4
5 I'd like to explore that comment a bit, but below...
6
7 > Here is my story.
8 >
9 > Support for old hardware has been one of the downfalls of the devs
10 > deciding to not keep everything in portage but rather they start weeding
11 > out software before we users have really finished using it. I have 4
12 > [old but special machines I use] as MythTV frontends.
13
14 > At the time I bought the machines the Open Source radeon driver didn't
15 > support S-Video so I had to use the ATI driver which worked fine.
16
17 When I first switched to Linux, I was in much the same boat. While I had
18 been researching a switch for a couple years, and had therefore verified
19 that all my hardware purchases "did Linux", I wasn't yet aware of the
20 difference between "Linux drivers" and "freedomware Linux driver". I had
21 thus verified that my nVidia card with "Twinview", one of the reasons I
22 purchased it, did "Twinview" on Linux as well, but unfortunately didn't
23 know to verify that the FLOSS drivers handled it. Of course, the open
24 source nv driver doesn't, due to lack of vendor cooperation.
25
26 Shortly after I actually /did/ switched to Linux and discovered all that,
27 I vowed that while I couldn't at the time do anything about the video
28 card I was running (no budget for a new one), that was the LAST time I
29 would make that mistake!
30
31 And it was the last time I DID. My cards since then have all been
32 Radeons, and I've only purchased ones well supported by the freedomware
33 drivers, which is why I'm still on a 9200, as that was the best
34 freedomware supported for quite awhile, until AMD bought ATI and turned
35 them around in that regard.
36
37 FWIW, I expect to upgrade video again shortly, I've had it penciled in
38 for 2H2009 for awhile and that's what it is now. It'll be to another
39 Radeon of course, as with AMD at the helm, that is again the best
40 freedomware choice. As I'm still AGP, and the hdXXXX series (r6XX+) do
41 better on PCI-E, I'll probably get the top of the line r5XX series, the
42 x1950, altho I'd much prefer $100 to the $150 it still seems to be
43 running.
44
45 > A couple of years ago ATI, in all wisdom, dropped TV Out support for
46 > this specific chipset from their closed source driver so I was forced to
47 > stick with the driver that was current at that time.
48
49 Yeah. Well, as you note below, at least the freedomware drivers are
50 picking up support for it now.
51
52 > This was OK for awhile as it was in portage and I could just mask
53 > higher revisions. However after awhile it turned out kernel updates
54 > forced incompatibilities between new kernels and this old driver so I
55 > was forced to mask newer revisions than the last one that worked with
56 > the last radeon driver that worked.
57
58 Yeah, that happens. Expecially when you're running servantware drivers
59 for hardware they've quit supporting.
60
61 > 3 months go by and portage maintainers decide to start weeding 'old'
62 > software out and, you guessed it, they weeded out what I needed to run
63 > this hardware.
64
65 Just a minor term correction. As the term is normally used, "portage
66 maintainers" would refer to those maintaining the portage package.
67
68 What you want would be something like "Gentoo devs" or "Gentoo tree
69 maintainers", or here, it would have been the "package maintainers" for
70 the packages in question, since newer versions of the same package
71 remain. If the entire package, all versions, is removed, that's often
72 the tree cleaners project, or the devs in charge of the herd the package
73 belonged to. But in that case, there's an established procedure of a 30
74 day package-mask and an announcement on the gentoo-dev list, in case
75 another dev wishes to rescue it, and to give any users that may still be
76 using it time to react, putting it in their overlay or switching to a
77 different alternative, before the package is actually removed. Plus, by
78 the time it's removed, it's often dead upstream, abandoned, no longer
79 compiling with current gcc and/or against current glibc, open bugs with
80 little chance of fixing them, a Gentoo-dev maintainer that's either long
81 retired or no longer interested in maintaining the package, etc.
82
83 Of course, this whole thread is about how kde3 is heading there, but it
84 wouldn't count in this regard since there are newer versions, so it's not
85 entire package removal, except for the kde3 packages that don't have kde4
86 versions, in which case, yes, they'll go thru the mask and announcement
87 for removal process, before final removal. But one of the big
88 differences here vs normal upgrades is that there's a real possibility
89 they'll end up masking kde3 before kde4 goes stable, according to the kde
90 meeting summary. Plus, all the various things still keeping people on
91 kde3, some of which are why kde4 is /not/ yet stable.
92
93 Meanwhile, you didn't do it here, but in general, and it's a habit I've
94 had to correct myself as well, also note that what used to be termed the
95 "portage tree", that is, the main Gentoo tree, really shouldn't be
96 referred to as the portage tree anymore either, as there are other
97 package managers (PMs). For historical reasons, it's also often called
98 the gentoo/x86 tree, even tho that isn't really accurate either since
99 it's generally scripts for building from source on all archs (as we know
100 in the context of this list). But I guess the original Gentoo folks
101 didn't realize that, and created their tree under an x86 subdir.
102
103 The most accurate way to refer to the main Gentoo tree, therefore, would
104 be just that, or simply the Gentoo tree, or the Gentoo repository, since
105 that's it's official name now, as can be seen in profiles/repo_name,
106 distinguishing it from other repositories/overlays/trees, including those
107 of Gentoo based distributions such as funtoo.
108
109 > The ATI driver was gone. The kernel was gone. No
110 > discussions, no announcements. It was just gone.
111
112 As mentioned, it's upto the package maintainer what versions he keeps in
113 the tree, and there's no special process necessary when he decides to get
114 rid of one, except that ordinarily, they're not supposed to remove the
115 highest keyworded (either ~arch or stable) version without consulting
116 with the arch team in question. Of course, that's part of the process
117 the kde team is going thru now, warning other devs that kde3 may end up
118 masked...
119
120 Only if a package is removed entirely does the package removal process
121 trigger, masked for 30 days with an announcement on -dev, then a removal
122 if no-one has stepped up to maintain it and no other serious overrides.
123
124 > A machine I could build and run using a Gentoo 2006 install CD could no
125 > longer be built and run using a 2008 CD.
126 >
127 > Then I'm forced to learn about attics, building overlays, etc. It was a
128 > mess for a long time.
129 >
130 > Recently the Open Source driver has started to support TVOut on this
131 > version of the Radeon hardware, so I'm now back to using Open Source,
132 > but video quality is FAR inferior to the ATI driver, although CPU usage
133 > is far superior so at least with OS I have a quiet machine while
134 > watching a bad picture.
135
136 Well, might be poor solace, but at least you can see the good with the
137 bad.
138
139 > Moral of the story - don't trust portage to support your machine
140 > tomorrow just because it works today, and don't expect portage
141 > maintainers to care. The response you'll get, if you get one at all, is
142 > 'be a man, create your own overlay, be responsible for your machine, and
143 > shut up'.
144
145 Umm... package maintainers, but that's covered above...
146
147 Of course, I'd say another moral is to pick hardware that's FLOSS
148 supported from the beginning, if at all possible. Sometimes it may not
149 be, and then one has to decide whether it's worth the negatives to go
150 servantware or not. It's a decision I'd make differently than many here,
151 but it /is/ an individual decision.
152
153 But, being able to create overlays and the like is one of the features of
154 Gentoo, and I'd agree with them in that regard. However, just because
155 it's true, doesn't mean they shouldn't at least provide some pointers to
156 documentation on creating an overlay, etc. After all, it's other humans
157 with very real problems of their own they're dealing with, and it's good
158 to remember that just as us users need to remember that when we wonder
159 why there's no apparent action on our bug.
160
161 But that brings us back full circle to what I mentioned above. As
162 someone who has gone thru it as an ordinary user, what /did/ you find
163 most difficult about the process of creating your own overlay? What sort
164 of tools are you referring to, that could make the process easier? I'm
165 just a user too, but am perhaps more technical than most, and spend
166 enough time on the dev list and etc, that while I didn't find the process
167 particularly difficult, and don't really understand what sort of tools
168 could have made it much simpler than I found it -- it was just a matter
169 of taking the time to do it -- I can't take that as indicative of the
170 problems an ordinary user may have.
171
172 The reason I'm asking, is that it's just this sort of feedback that devs
173 often lack, and if between us and others here who may want to speak up as
174 well, if it can be hashed out exactly what is causing the problems,
175 perhaps I can present them to somebody who can do something about it.
176 After all, it's not like the devs generally go out of their way to make
177 things more difficult. If there's a reasonable way to make the process
178 easier, and it's not going to take an unreasonable amount of programming
179 to make it so, there's a reasonable chance something can be done about it.
180
181 And... I'd not mind being a part of the project and any solution that
182 might come of it. After all, not only might I find it's easier for me
183 too, but that's a another way I may be able to make my own contribution
184 to this great big community project we call Gentoo, the even bigger one
185 that's Linux, and the even BIGGER one that's the FLOSS community and
186 projects in general. I may not be a coder, but if I can do something to
187 help, I'll certainly give it a try! =:^)
188
189 And of course the same applies to you. If any changes come out of this,
190 you can point to them and say it's because of you! That's a very nice
191 feeling to have! =:^)
192
193 (Of course, it's a similar feeling to the one I get as a reward for all
194 the work I put into my posts here, when I see folks saying they actually
195 find them useful, even to the point of archiving them. =:^) I remember
196 the first time someone mentioned saving my posts, back a very long time
197 ago both in years and in changed personal situation, as it was about a
198 decade ago, and it was a post I made to the IE4/OE4 beta newsgroups...
199 how times have changed indeed, but you should have seen me after reading
200 that comment, as I must have been walking about two feet off the ground!
201 I know because it took me about a week before my feet touched ground
202 again! =:^) That's a VERY powerful reward indeed! =:^)
207 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman