From: "Thomas Rösner" <Thomas.Roesner@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] MAKEOPTS values for Athlon 64 X2
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:37:34
1 PaulNM wrote:
2 > Hey folks,
3 [...]
4 > I've also seen some mentions of -j9 by people with dual core systems
5 > elsewhere, indicating it drastically speed up some emerges.
6
7 ...and drastically slow down others?
8
9 > So this leaves me with several possibilities. There's -j3 (current
10 > setting), -j5, -j (no limit), -j9, or some other random number. Any
11 > suggestions/warnings/links would be appreciated.
12
13 Compiling the kernel with -j is a popular benchmark, because it really
14 stresses the VM/disk/CPU. And before you get your hopes up too high: the
15 ebuilds that really take long (mozilla, openoffice, glibc, gcc) won't
16 use your makeopts anyway.
17
18 My guess; going higher than -j5 won't do much for you, there will always
19 be a process not waiting for IO (if your disk can handle the load, that
20 is) for each CPU. -j3 will be better for cpp compiles, which hog the CPU
21 longer and won't have to be scheduled out like with -j5.
22
23 Other factors: is this a desktop system? Do you want to actually do
24 something with it while it compiles? How much RAM do you have?
25
26 (These are rethorical questions ;-))
27
28 Regards,