From: Michael Moore <mikem.unet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Fwd: [install] emerge gentoo-sources fails
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:18:02
1 On 19:51 Sun 02 Nov , Martin Herrman wrote:
2 > That takes me to the issues I have experienced with FreeBSD: although
3 > it looks like a very well-documented (and centralised!) system, I had
4 > problems understanding e.g. the ports way of installing software. I
5 > had lot's of errors, which I couldn't solve. I think that Gentoo's
6 > user-base is much larger, which makes it easier to find solutions and
7 > bug-reports online. But also the messages shown at e.g. the output of
8 > emerge help a lot. In FreeBSD I also had trouble to do a full system
9 > upgrade: what are the command's you should use in what sequence? I had
10 > that information avaialble for gentoo in minutes.
11 > Maybe I do not have an objective view, because I know Linux quite well
12 > and FreeBSD is totally new to me.
13 >
14 > Best regards,
15 >
16 > Martin
17 >
18 Hi Martin,
19
20 In a nutshell you could say that Gentoo Linux has a highly refined
21 implementation of the methods of FreeBSD (though at the core they
22 are two totally different systems- technically & philosophically).
23 It includes an excellent package manager and a lot of well polished
24 tools (eselect et al.) which make system administration less of a
25 chore and infact a highly easy job (contrary to popular belief).
26 This is one of the reasons i love Gentoo Linux -- it provides the
27 power without putting you into too much of an inconvenience. But
28 that doesn't take anything away from FreeBSD, which has managed to
29 still follow the KISS Principle and keep things fairly well integrated.
30
31 As regards the emerge output, you would realise that the make output of
32 the ports system isn't different. And as for the update just read the
33 docs. You would find out that a world update in FreeBSD is quite similar
34 to others, provided if you get the knowhow about userland and system.
35
36 But, anyways both are quite different systems so, please don't view
37 anyone with any kind of prejudice. I am not trying to profess any particular
38 system but, you should only criticise something once you are fairly well versed
39 with it.
43 Michael Moore <mikem.unet(at)gmail.com>
44 About *NIX: If its not fun, why do it?