From: Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Fwd: [install] emerge gentoo-sources fails
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 18:51:27
1 Hi Michael and Duncan,
2
3 you two had send me a reply some time ago, but I didn't had the time
4 to reply. Well, here it is :-)
5
6 In the mean time my desktop is 'fully' functional, at least I can do
7 my usual stuff on it.
8
9 Of course I have had some issues that needed to be solved:
10 - forgot to include USB HID support in my kernel :-)
11 - network-adapter driver is broken is current gentoo sources, so I had
12 to take kernel.org's 2.6.27.4
13 - radeon driver didn't recognise video-chip (yeah, had to unmask
14 radeonhd driver..)
15 - wireless card required firmware in /lib/firmware
16 - ... lots I already forgot..
17 But it could all be solved within minutes or in some cases within a
18 small couple of hours!
19
20 That takes me to the issues I have experienced with FreeBSD: although
21 it looks like a very well-documented (and centralised!) system, I had
22 problems understanding e.g. the ports way of installing software. I
23 had lot's of errors, which I couldn't solve. I think that Gentoo's
24 user-base is much larger, which makes it easier to find solutions and
25 bug-reports online. But also the messages shown at e.g. the output of
26 emerge help a lot. In FreeBSD I also had trouble to do a full system
27 upgrade: what are the command's you should use in what sequence? I had
28 that information avaialble for gentoo in minutes.
29 Maybe I do not have an objective view, because I know Linux quite well
30 and FreeBSD is totally new to me.
31
32 Best regards,
33