From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Planning a new box - AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon?
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:45:18
1 why not using the athlon x2 on am2 socket? they work also with the non
2 registered memory (which is needed for opterons and is not an optional as it
3 is for athlons), which has a higher cost when compared to the non registered
4 one. the athlons have a smaller l2 cache, but the newer models (the be ones)
5 seem to have a better power consumption than opterons and old generation
6 athlons. in my vision, if you want to buy an opteron you might want to get
7 instead an athlon with increased speed and with more ram than in the opteron
8 case.
9 and i personally don't really like tyan. i prefer gigabyte. i hadn't used a
10 gigabyte product (video boards, mobos, wireless boards) that didn't worked
11 wery well with linux. and the new gigabyte hw is based on the coolpipe2
12 system which is very-very good and very silent. for what i've seen around a
13 good middle ranged gigabyte mobo supports dual channel ddr3 (1333) and ddr2,
14 am2 sockets till athlons quad and opterons dual, has 6 sata-II of 350mb/s,
15 and is around 70€. this will be my next board. i would also check later some
16 higher level mobos if i should have a greater dispo of money.
17 for video boards i'd suggest a gigabyte radeon hd2600pro 512 ddr2 or
18 gigabyte radeon hd2600xt 256 ddr3 for a middle ranged system or the gigabyte
19 radeon hd2900 xt 512 ddr3 for a high level system. the new fglrx works well
20 with these boards and there'll be an opensource driver soon (they're working
21 on the documentation that amd released recently).
22 for the system ram i'd choose ocz's 2gb - 2x1gb kit, for middle ranged
23 system or an 8gb ocz kit for high range desktop.
24 as for the disk i'd choose 2x400gb sata-II 8mb buffer with software raid and
25 lvm2 for middle range sytem or 2x360gb sata-II 16mb buffer in software raid
26 and lvm2 for higher level one.
27 at last i'd install a dual fan thermaltake cpu cooler instead a normal one
28 to keep the cpu temp lower than a normal fan would do. also the coolermaster
29 fans and dissipators work welly well.
30 the other components could be of any brand since they're not so important
31 and depend on what their cost is. a middle ranged desktop would so be around
32 500-600 € (no os installed) and a higher level one could reach also
33 1200-1300€ depending on how much stuff you put inside.
34