From: "Conway S. Smith" <beolach@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Planning a new box - AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon?
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:16:55
1 On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:28:01 +0000 (UTC)
2 "Kris Kersey (Augustus)" <augustus@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Conway,
4 >
5 > While it doesn't include Barcelona, you probably would find my review
6 > on LinuxHardware.org very useful in your decision making process. It
7 > included the latest Xeon and Opteron processors using Tyan boards.
8 > Here's the link:
9 > http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/05/1414204&mode=thread
10 >
11 > If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.
12 >
13 > Thanks,
14 > Kris Kersey (Augustus)
15 > LinuxHardware.org Site Manager
16 > augustus@×××××××××××××.org
17 > Gentoo Linux AMD64 Developer
18 > augustus@g.o
19 > AIM: Augustus22
22 Nice article, thanks Kris! I'm about to hit the sack (I work nights),
23 so I've mostly just skimmed the performance section, and I'm rather
24 pleasantly surprised.
25
26 The Opterons are looking a lot better there than some of the other
27 reviews I've been reading. The impression I've had was that in terms
28 of performance, Intel's had a significant lead since the Conroe came
29 out; although AMD's Barcelona is starting to close the gap (although I
30 had the impression Intel's Clovertown still leads).
33 Thanks,
34 Conway S. Smith