From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Keyboard Stops Working Under X
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 21:03:57
1 Am 14.11.2012 20:18, schrieb Frank Peters:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Lately I have been experiencing a strange problem. Under X my USB keyboard
5 > will suddenly stop working. If I press some keys they will not appear in an
6 > X console or in any other application. There is no warning. It just
7 > will sporadically stop working. Usually, if I wait for several minutes
8 > the keys will start working again.
9 >
10 > Fortunately, the USB mouse will continue to function normally during these
11 > episodes. If I then immediately shutdown X using some mouse clicks, I will
12 > again have a working keyboard. Also, the last few keys I had pressed before
13 > shutting down X will appear in my console. This would mean that the key
14 > presses are detected and placed into the buffer but somehow the X applications
15 > do not receive them.
16 >
17 > I cannot pinpoint the start of this behavior to any specific system changes,
18 > but I suspect that the latest nvidia-drivers may be the source of the problem.
19 > The problem seems to coincide with one of the several nvidia updates, but
20 > this is still a guess.
21 >
22 > My system is updated daily and I use only the Fvwm window manager (no Gnome or K).
23 >
24 > How can I debug this further? Both the kernel log and the X log show nothing
25 > whatever.
26 >
27 > Frank Peters
31 I think you just have to bite the bullet and start swapping parts of
32 your setup until the error disappears: Try a different keyboard, or a
33 different USB port. Use different (older + newer) versions of
34 xorg-server, xf86-input-evdev and so forth.