From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Seamonkey vs Mozilla cage match round two
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:47:57
1 On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 08:45:21AM +0100, Michael Weyersh?user wrote:
2 > felix@×××××××.com wrote:
3 > > Something else about this seamonkey vs mozilla conflict has been
4 > > bugging me. Why are the two even in conflict? Firefox is not in
5 > > conflict with either one. Can't they coexist?
6 > >
7 > Just take a close look at the history of those two packages and their
8 > current status and you should be able to answer that to yourself.
9
10 Sorry, that's not clear at all. It doesn't explain why the two
11 binaries can't coexist. The only reason I can see for not coexisting
12 would be if the binaries had the same name. Even that wouldn't be
13 avery big ibstacle, since I have both emacs (emacs-21) and cvs-emacs
14 (emacs-22). And why the gentoo repository cares a white, I do not
15 understand.
16
17 > Another thing you should be aware of: As development (and even
18 > bugfixing) for Mozilla has ceased quite a while ago the last release has
19 > a number of security bugs that are well known and wide open. Any program
20 > using parts of Mozilla are therefor vulnerable as well. For that reason
21 > you shouldn't be using Mozilla and instead switch over to Firefox or
22 > Seamonkey. It will be removed from the tree sooner rather than later.
23
24 I use mozilla without javascript, java, etc, which probably eliminates
25 most of the security problems. I'd gladly switch to seamonkey if it
26 were stable, but the last time I tried it, it crashed too often and
27 too severaly, sometimes even clobbering the entire X session so badly
28 I had to reboot to clear the screen. Ssh still allowed access from
29 other machines, but the display eas completely useless because of X's
30 rude departure.
34 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
35 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
36 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o
37 --
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list