From: Homer Parker <hparker@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Seamonkey vs Mozilla cage match round two
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:37:35
1 On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 06:46 -0800, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > > Another thing you should be aware of: As development (and even
3 > > bugfixing) for Mozilla has ceased quite a while ago the last release
4 > has
5 > > a number of security bugs that are well known and wide open. Any
6 > program
7 > > using parts of Mozilla are therefor vulnerable as well. For that
8 > reason
9 > > you shouldn't be using Mozilla and instead switch over to Firefox or
10 > > Seamonkey. It will be removed from the tree sooner rather than
11 > later.
12 >
13 > I use mozilla without javascript, java, etc, which probably eliminates
14 > most of the security problems.
15
16 Ok, you use it like that. I bet there are people that don't though and
17 the mozilla team doesn't have the time/resources to fix the security
18 problems, and upstream has dropped support. If you want to continue to
19 use it with those problems, great... Dump it in your overlay and use
20 it.. Just remember it's unsupported and has security problems and if it
21 breaks you get to keep both pieces ;)
24 Homer Parker <hparker@g.o>
27 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list