From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] To multilib or Not to multilib!?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:35:48
1 2009/1/26 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>:
2 >
3 > On Mon, January 26, 2009 20:39, Beso wrote:
4 >> 2009/1/26 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>:
5 >>>
6 >>> The only reason I suggest you the alpha version is because previous
7 >>> flash versions have not support for 64 bits, hence, you will need
8 >>> multilib to use them. The latest alpha has finally been ported to
9 >>> x86_64, which means that it's now a native 64 bit application, and
10 >>> doesn't need multilib to run on a 64 bits system.
11 >>>
12 >> it's more correct to say that this version is ONLY 64bit and won't
13 >> work for 32bit apps.
14 >
15 > Thanks for pointing it out. I had no idea that it was and x86_64 only
16 > release.
17 >
18 and it's a linux only release. there isn't a 64bit release for other
19 oses like windows or solaris.
20 in fact it's hard masked in portage for this reason. the final release
21 should have 64bit plugins
22 for both windows, linux and osx, but maybe not for solaris. i think
23 that this has been pushed
24 out due to apple declaring that it will completely drop 32bit and use
25 only 64bit on the next
26 osx release. for this reason, adobe, which has as best customer apple
27 users won't remain
28 behind with this. i expect more 64bit releases for all adobe products
29 until end of 2009, but
30 maybe they will be at first available only for osx.
33 dott. ing. beso