From: "Ângelo Miguel Arrifano" <miknix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Compiz-Fusion and amd64
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:48:07
1 On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 20:21:48 +0100
2 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > the problem with compiz/compiz fusion is that it needs a high level board to
5 > run smooth and curently. fglrx has some bugs, except for the 6+ version,
6 > that should be corrected in the new 8.43 release of this month.
7 > as for beryl, of my experience it needs at least half the resources of
8 > compiz.
11 > > I'm using a nvidia 8400GS card. Beryl performance isn't bad. But effects
12 > > tend to lag due to some reason.
13 > > I think it's related to nvidia Coolbits and/or automatic GPU Freq. Not
14 > > really sure.
15 > > Every single effect lags at start. But, if some effect is already going on
16 > > and I start another one, the new one won't lag.
17 > > This really makes me believe it's something related to GPU clock. When
18 > > computer is IDLE and I start a effect, the clock rate is LOW and effect goes
19 > > SLOW, but right after, it looks like the GPU clock rate increases and the
20 > > effect goes OK.
23 > this is the problem of the cpufreq polling mechanism. if you lauch the
24 > effect when the processor is about to poll the load then you won't have
25 > problems of slow effects. if you want a more receptive system set the timer
26 > freq in the kernel to 1000 hz and then set the polling of the cpufreq to
27 > lower values.
28 Thanks for your suggestion!
29 I've built linux with timer freq 1000Hz and also set CPUFreq scaling governor to performance. And beryl
30 continues to lag.. I don't think it's a CPU freq issue.
31 Also I'm running a dual core SMP system where I think a 1000Hz timer won't be beneficial.
32
33 I tried setting higher GPU clocks for 2D mode using the nvidia-settings utility and beryl is now more responsive,
34 but not enough. Maybe the transition between 2D to 3D mode is somewhat slow causing this laginess for a while.
37 > And it's not only on Beryl. I'm using XFCE with composite enabled for having
38 > > transparent windows.. Every time I move a window with transparency, the move
39 > > operation itself is SLOW on the beginning and then goes OK.
42 > same problem as before. by the way, beryl is destined to die, for what i've
43 > learned.
44 >
45 > OpenGL performance with this card is great as you can see with Tremulous and
46 > > Alien Arena games.
47 > >
48 > > I hope next nvidia drivers fixes this issue.
51 > nvidia has released drivers last week or it's about to release a new driver.
52 > for more info search www.phoronix.com and search for nvidia articles.
53 Nice.. Just waiting to help stabilize it :D
54 >
55 > --
56 > > Angelo Arrifano AKA MiKNiX
57 > > CSE Student at UBI, Portugal
58 > > Gentoo Linux AMD64 Arch Tester
59 > > miknix@×××××.com
60 > > http://miknix.homelinux.com
61 > > PGP Pubkey online
62 > >
63 > > - -
64 > > Love is an obsessive delusion that is cured by marriage.
65 > > -- Dr. Karl Bowman
66 > > --
67 > > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
72 > --
73 > dott. ing. beso
76 Greetings
77 --
78 Angelo Arrifano AKA MiKNiX
79 CSE Student at UBI, Portugal
80 Gentoo Linux AMD64 Arch Tester
81 miknix@×××××.com
82 http://miknix.homelinux.com
83 PGP Pubkey online
84
85 - -
86 Renning's Maxim:
87 Man is the highest animal. Man does the classifying.
88 --
89 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list