From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Compiz-Fusion and amd64
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 23:36:50
1 > Thanks for your suggestion!
2 > I've built linux with timer freq 1000Hz and also set CPUFreq scaling
3 > governor to performance. And beryl
4 > continues to lag.. I don't think it's a CPU freq issue.
7 from what you've said it seems that it has some things related to the
8 processor switch to on. even if it's on performace, the processor would wait
9 a little time to start processing the commands. this should be less than
10 1nanosec so impercetible to human mind, but it seems that on your sytem
11 there's a bottleneck somewhere. maybe you've set the tickless option in
12 kernel for powersaving mode, or your disk is spinning too much. install some
13 monitor daemon (like kima on kde) or other that are around and see what
14 happens when you trigger your update: see if your processor is actually at
15 full speed and what's its load when it starts to work on beryl.
16
17 Also I'm running a dual core SMP system where I think a 1000Hz timer won't
18 > be beneficial.
21 it's not true, from what i've heard around.
22
23 I tried setting higher GPU clocks for 2D mode using the nvidia-settings
24 > utility and beryl is now more responsive,
25 > but not enough. Maybe the transition between 2D to 3D mode is somewhat
26 > slow causing this laginess for a while.
29 then maybe you have some wrong settings in xorg.conf. try looking around in
30 some forums to see if there are some specific nvidia settings. on phoronix
31 there's an nvidia dedicated forum so take a look there too. you may find
32 something useful.
35 > Nice.. Just waiting to help stabilize it :D
38 i've learned that ati-drivers and nvidia ones are better to install when
39 they reach the ~ branch since, especially for ati ones, that are released
40 every month and don't make it in time in the stable branch until there are
41 new bugfixes and performance tunes. this should apply also. the nvidia one
42 in the stable is 14 releases behind the released one (about one year and a
43 half), and there have been a lot of fixes and the 8000 series have had a lot
44 of performance improvements.
45 i'd recommend you to add x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers ~x86 or
46 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers ~amd64 and update the drivers. and this is not a
47 simple recommendation but it's more a do the upgrade since it will only make
48 your linux experience better.
49 and last thing: the tilde branch don't mean that a package won't work or
50 would break your system. it simply means that if the package don't work then
51 you don't have to complain about it with gentoo devs since they'll tell you
52 that the package is not stable and you weren't forced to use it. for example
53 upgrading to the latest kernel is not bad and many users (like bcm43xx one
54 have always some fixes and some performance gains); the same goes for
55 compiz/beryl, which i recommend to install from the xeffects overlay (look
56 into the forum or in www.gentoo-xeffects.org on how to add the overlay to
57 portage), will most likely not hit the stable branch as they're not
58 mantained directly by gentoo devs. the packages that are really bad are the
59 one hardmasked and that ones it's not recommended to install unless you
60 really know what you're doing.
61 but i repeat, for tilde this doesn't apply.
64 dott. ing. beso