From: Gen Zhang <genneth@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Maybe a new etc-update is needed? Was: problem after emerge --update world
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:10:22
1 On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 16:48 +0100, Steffen Jobbagy-Felso wrote:
2 > This may sound harsh, but don't use automerge. Portage/etc-update cannot
3 > possibly know about every config change you (or the ebuilds) can make. I assume
4 > etc-update (rightly) doesn't even attempt this and merges based on string
5 > analysis without thought as to what the settings actually mean, leading to breakage.
6 >
7 > If you never touched a file it's probably save to just overwrite the existing
8 > one. You always have the backup in case it wasn't save ;)
9 > That's how I do it anyways.
10
11 Ditto for here. However, I was thinking of implementing something more
12 intelligent, based around a 3-way merge. It's just a quick and dirty
13 script that scans for updates, ala etc-update, then calls out to
14 something a little more appropriate, like meld or xxdiff. It would keep
15 a copy of the 'vanilla' config files in /.etc (or something), and
16 attempt 3-way merges, assuming that /.etc/config is the common ancestor
17 of /etc/config and /etc/.config000 (I forget exactly how portage names
18 them); after a successful merge it would move the new vanilla file
19 to /.etc.
20
21 I hope that makes sense.
22