From: Gen Zhang <genneth@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Maybe a new etc-update is needed? Was: problem after emerge --update world
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:10:22
On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 16:48 +0100, Steffen Jobbagy-Felso wrote:
> This may sound harsh, but don't use automerge. Portage/etc-update cannot > possibly know about every config change you (or the ebuilds) can make. I assume > etc-update (rightly) doesn't even attempt this and merges based on string > analysis without thought as to what the settings actually mean, leading to breakage. > > If you never touched a file it's probably save to just overwrite the existing > one. You always have the backup in case it wasn't save ;) > That's how I do it anyways.
Ditto for here. However, I was thinking of implementing something more intelligent, based around a 3-way merge. It's just a quick and dirty script that scans for updates, ala etc-update, then calls out to something a little more appropriate, like meld or xxdiff. It would keep a copy of the 'vanilla' config files in /.etc (or something), and attempt 3-way merges, assuming that /.etc/config is the common ancestor of /etc/config and /etc/.config000 (I forget exactly how portage names them); after a successful merge it would move the new vanilla file to /.etc. I hope that makes sense. Any comments? Regards, Gen Zhang